addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Eggs for sale?

Eggs for sale?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone,

I live in the Hollywood area and am looking for someone that might be able to supply my girlfriend and I with fresh, free range eggs on a regular basis. We both love cooking with local, organic, sustainable and humane ingredients as much as possible. Eggs comprise a large part of our diets and it would be great to have a very local and hopefully somewhat less expensive alternative to buying free range eggs at Trader Joe's. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan
Pete K.
user 54883572
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 37
Hi, it's interesting that you would expect back yard eggs to be cheaper than Trader Joes' eggs. Can you explain? I've wondered about how much to ask for a dozen eggs before, so I'm curious to know your thinking.

It seems to me that you'd be getting a higher quality product, and that the "margins" for the back yard producer are smaller than the factory egg producer, both reasons for paying a little more! While most of us aren't in it for the money, all that feed and hardware cloth isn't free.

Hi Everyone,

I live in the Hollywood area and am looking for someone that might be able to supply my girlfriend and I with fresh, free range eggs on a regular basis. We both love cooking with local, organic, sustainable and humane ingredients as much as possible. Eggs comprise a large part of our diets and it would be great to have a very local and hopefully somewhat less expensive alternative to buying free range eggs at Trader Joe's. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 171
I agree wholeheartedly with Pete. The cost of feed vastly exceeds the cost of trader joes eggs and caring for and keeping chickens isn't free. Fresh eggs at farmer's markets are very expensive, but expecting people to give eggs away for less than a few bucks probably isn't realistic.

I'm not trying to offend, just being honest.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 519
Nathan and I have traded $ for eggs and i do it with friends who don't have things to trade for. I think the going rate is anything from $7 to $15 a dozen but i tell them that it doesn't cover the cost but i don't want eggs going bad at home. That's crazy!!.

I think we build relationship with people who want to support backyard chickens. I know I have more eggs than i can eat and have not enough chickens and am willing to pay for them to eat and wish they didn't have to lay eggs now that i have them.

It's like with beekeeping, chickens and gardening. Sharing the bounty is with like minded people. I'm always surprised as to what people will think about trading. I've received, boar sausage, smoked cheeses, etc that people have made with their hands and had to kill themselves.
joAnn O
TokenGirl
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 9
I have had my girls since spring of 2011 and being a bookkeeper I can tell you to the penny what they have cost me. So far after all has been said & done, the eggs I have kept for personal consumption have run me around 425.00. That's twice as much than if I would have just bought them from my favorite average egg seller @ the Alhambra Farmers Market. (non organic-free range)

I have sold quite a few at what by farmers market standards for pastured or organic free range is a low price. (5.00 per dozen) That will be changing. 4 chickens fed exclusively on Cascade organic (no corn/no soy) from day 1. (I now have 5 since I had one wander into my yard 2 months ago.)

That said, I have just delved into the world of sprouting to cut the feed costs and hopefully break even by next year. BTW, the 425.00 out of pocket takes into account all supplies, chicks and coop.

My point is, you get what you pay for and unfortunately out food system is so industrialized & corrupt that organic food is like gold & can feel just as costly. It is no longer the norm as it once was. There is no way for the micro farmer or hobbyist to compete with industrial prices.
A former member
Post #: 3
I think the farmers market is your best bet for fresh range free eggs. They are not expensive.. about 5 bucks a dozen.