align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › New upcoming chicken processing class

New upcoming chicken processing class

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 487
Rishi and Sam are going to be hosting a chicken processing class. There will be a charge to raise funds to build there coop and for feed for the urban institute of ecology.

If you have a chicken who you would like to bring let me know so we can start planning on the size of the class.

- roberta
A former member
Post #: 8
I believe that I have a chicken for this purpose. Very interested in learning the process.
Sign me up.
Katie
Deborah B.
user 18945421
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 29
I would like to attend to observe.
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 6
Please keep me in the loop, may have a chicken to process...
Cara
user 67618442
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 9
I don't have any chickens I'd be willing to do away with but I would love to see how it's done.
Nissa P.
HealingLeaves
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
I don't have any chickens I'd be willing to do away with but I would love to see how it's done.
Ditto here
Jennifer
user 83188052
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
We're still waiting to find out if some of our young ones will turn out to be cockerels so I don't think we'd bring any but love to come anyway to learn.
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 109
I have 8 Red Rangers that I would be willing to let people practice on. They are just 9 weeks right now, and they should be ready to butcher by mid-May. It is easier to practice on someone else's birds than your own, and these guys are not the most charming birds. If you want to process one, expect to get pecked or wing lashed if you are not quick. It can make it easier to do the deed when they are mean birds.

To be clear, I will be keeping the carcasses; the birds will just be available for practice.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 498
Thank you Laura for helping the class. Rishi and Sam are working on the date and time.
Laura B.
FarmerLaura
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 113
One of the 5 cockerels was crowing non-stop this morning, so I am going to have to process him this weekend to stop the neighbors from getting upset. I have 3 Red Ranger pullets that I will on to for the class, but the cockerels are getting iffy on making it to mid May.

I will try putting the older hens in with the Red Rangers. The boys are scared to death of my laying hens, so they may stay quiet to avoid drawing the wrath of the grouchy old hens.