Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › My favorite chicken died this morning.

My favorite chicken died this morning. I'm devastated and also need to know what happened.

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 145
I was out of town for 2 days but had someone watching them. She looks like she could have not laid any eggs for a couple of days but I'm not positive.

I've been hearing about a bunch of people losing birds suddenly.

I'm so sad. I did photograph her because it looks like she fell off the roost at night and her neck is all extended. Very odd.
JoAnna
joannapaloma
Alhambra, CA
Post #: 162
So sorry. :( Chicken necropsies: http://cahfs.ucdavis....­.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 146
Joanna

I'm sending her off today. I need to know what happened for the benefit of the others. She had no symptoms at all. So devastating. I just wish there was something I could have done for her.
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 502
I'm so sorry. I know you loved her and will miss her terribly. She was so young too. :(
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 147
I drove to the UC Davis lab in San Bernadino. They said that is the best way to get a good necropsy result. They are really nice there. They walked me through the whole process. I can post the lab results, if anyone is curious. Hopefully it's an isolated incident and no others will be affected. I sure hope that I get some information that I can learn from or help others with. It's the only thing that will make me feel more settled about it. I feel like I've failed somehow. :(
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 503
Our little backyard hens are both so strong and so fragile. It's strange. You treat you girls like queens. I worry that the special breeds that we get have the flaws of specialized breeding. You are a wonderful chicken mom. We've all lost chickens and what you learn will help us all.
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 7
Brandi, sorry for the loss of your hen. Please post the necropsy results.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 146
Oh Brandi I am so sorry!!! I am always afraid I will go down and find a dead hen in the coop.... Its always your favorite one too :(
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 301
Brandi - I'm really sorry to hear this. I know you'll post the results, but I think you can rest assured that you have done EVERYTHING you could to give your girls the best life possible. There is nothing you did wrong - sometimes stuff like this just happens. Our beautiful creatures are never around as long as we would like, which makes every day with them that much more special. Best wishes.

Cynthia
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 150
I will post the report, for sure. There's a part of me that's terrified I screwed up something with the feed or something. Any way around it, I need to know. Claire was my buddy and I'm so sad that I can't hold her and snuggle with her anymore. But the bright side, she showed a bunch of people, myself included, how lovely and sweet chickens can be. I can never replace her. But I do have her memory forever. I just can't get the sight of her dead in the coop out of my mind. It was really awful and I'm so sad. I feel responsible and I wish there was some warning. She appeared to be the healthiest of all of them, honestly. She was so spry and always running around and happy.