Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Coop is finished...need your feedback and ideas for the run!

Coop is finished...need your feedback and ideas for the run!

Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 12
Babies are coming in June. Coop is finished and am planning to use pine shavings inside. I have a good size, completely fenced run and am planting butterfly bushes, roses, mint and nastutium around the outside edges to attract bugs and enhance food and nesting box experiences. The run is hard, dry clay soil. Won't get wet unless it rains (and we know how often that happens in Southern California) and our sub climate is nice and warm. The run is pretty sunny and they can enjoy shade under the coop. I've purchased a small kid's pool for a dirt bath. So shall I leave the ground the way it is, or consider washed builders sand or wood chips? Want to keep them as clean and disease free as possible. Please share your knowledge and experiences! Thanks...
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 154
I would add garden leaves, grass clippings etc etc to your run to encourage bugs etc to come in ... If you keep adding material it also helps absorb the chicken poop and eliminate smell etc etc ... I have added everything to my run and keep on adding .... it breaks down so fast!!! Good luck!
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 15
Great idea, Amanda! We have a plethora of cut grass...
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 160
Cut grass makes great compost! They'll eat it also! I also do leaves, etc. in my run. I call it "forest floor". My girls seem to like it and they make fabulous compost. I scoop it up when it comes out of the side of the run. As Amanda says, they break it down fast! It will get hot and break down poop fast and probably attract Black Soldier Flies, great for processing manure.
david
user 4148344
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 105
We use garden soil from Home Depot..Keeps the run poop free.

A former member
Post #: 1
Please put soil in the run too as the chickens have dust baths to cool down and de insect themselves....
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 509
Watch Out For Grass Clippings BecausE If Th Pieces Are Too Long They Can Get Impacted Rips Because They Easy The While Piece And Don't Herd The Little Piece That They Would Normally Snip Off. A Good LaYer Of Wood Chips Can Really Attract Allot Of Insects. Another Trick Is Too Set OUT Wood BoardS Where The Bugs Will Goo And Then You Can Lift Them And They ETill Have A Bug Feast! Or Leave Boards As Stepping Places And Then Light ThemAsked Scoop Up The Hugs Under Neath And Throw Them Into The Coop. mmmmmm