Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Torrance Chicken Legalization Discussed June 6th and June 11th!!!

Torrance Chicken Legalization Discussed June 6th and June 11th!!!

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 537
I just got a great message from Sherry that Torrance is looking legalizing Chickens and Bees next week. Here is the message and i've emailed her for more details. I hope a bunch of us can go!! I will post as soon as i hear more.

Meetup Message from: Sherry Roberts, Member of Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts
Torrance To Allow Chicken and Beekeeping?

Roberta, hi! I wanted to find out if anyone from the LAUCE could speak at a meeting next week in Torrance. My city is considering allowing the keeping of chickens and bees in our yards, glory be should they approve it!! I also need to know if Backwards Bees could speak also at the same meeting. This would be magnificent and I would surely appreciate any leads on speakers you could give me! Please email me at sherry.roberts@oracle.com. Many, many thanks in advance, and I am STILL enjoying that chard!
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 539
More info from Sherry.

Roberta, THANK YOU! It would be so awesome if the City would permit this. Apparently they are having a discussion on June 6 prior to the full council meeting the following week on June 11, at which time they will present the items to the Council. Here, below, is the information regarding the June 6 meeting. I have also attached the Commission's full agenda so that the bee and chicken groups can see their position. It really seems like it is on its way to MAYBE being approved. I think all that are in favor should show up to demonstrate support. I'm gathering everyone I know. Let me know what I can do to facilitate someone from the bees and the chickens to attend! This is so cool!!!!!

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY AND ENERGY CONSERVATION COMMISSION
WEST ANNEX COMMISSION MEETING ROOM
CITY HALL, 3031 TORRANCE BOULEVARD
TORRANCE, CALIFORNIA 90503
THURSDAY, JUNE 6, 2013
7:00 P.M.

I’m working on the time but the full city meeting will be June 11 as it describes at the bottom of the schedule for today.

The Agenda for the Environmental Commission is attached and here is the excerpt about the bees and chickens.

Beekeeping and Urban Farming
This issue was brought to the Commission by members of the public. Initially, the request was to look at modifying the Torrance Municipal Code to allow beekeeping in residential zones with specific conditions in place. Subsequently, staff has received requests from the public to also look at urban farming in the city; specifically the keeping of chickens in residential zones, which is currently prohibited.

Here is the agenda schedule. More info in the agenda attached.

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY AND ENERGY CONSERVATION COMMISSION
WEST ANNEX COMMISSION MEETING ROOM
CITY HALL, 3031 TORRANCE BOULEVARD
TORRANCE, CALIFORNIA 90503
THURSDAY, JUNE 6, 2013
7:00 P.M.
A G E N D A
1. CALL TO ORDER

2. ROLL CALL/MOTIONS FOR EXCUSED ABSENCE

3. FLAG SALUTE

4. MOTION TO ACCEPT AND FILE REPORT ON POSTING OF

AGENDA
5. ORAL COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE PUBLIC

6. APPROVAL OF MINUTES

May 2, 2013
7. ENVIRONMENTAL MATTERS
A. TEQECC Work Plan
B. Discussion joint meeting with City Council June 11, 2013

8. NEW BUSINESS
A. Election of chair and vice chair

9. ORAL COMMUNICATION

10. ADJOURNMENT: June 11, 2013 – Joint Meeting with City Council

Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 27
I'd get Judi Gerber involved!
emily
EmilyfromNC
Redondo Beach, CA
Post #: 12
Thank you so much for posting, Roberta. I will be there!
emily
EmilyfromNC
Redondo Beach, CA
Post #: 13
I just wanted to update anyone interested in Torrance's consideration of legalizing backyard chickens after attending tonight's commission planning meeting.

The issue is being raised, but it is in VERY early stages. The commission has not done much research yet, but I appreciated that this meeting allowed for public comment, so I did my best to represent. Apparently the meeting on Tuesday will be with the city council and mayor, and therefore public comment may be eliminated due to time constraints.

But I did manage to get the commission to include in their planned spiel for Tuesday an indication of a public audience attending the meeting to show support for backyard chickens in Torrance (at which point we can give a show of hands). I get the sense that there is rarely public attendance at these meetings, so a public showing of any number would be considered significant by the city council.

So, if anyone is available to attend the meeting on June 11th at 5:30pm, please join me. Also FYI, there will be a city council meeting at 7PM (immediately following the commission/council meeting) that WILL allow for public comment. The commission informed me today that if anyone wants to be heard by city council on this issue, they should stick around for the 7PM meeting.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you next week,

- Emily
A former member
Post #: 33
any new news on this subject
Jean C.
JeanChan
Torrance, CA
Post #: 4
I was at the 6/11 meeting. It seems like the plan is to have more meetings/hearings on it over the course of the year and get community input. We'll just have to make sure we show up at all those meetings.

I was wondering if anyone in this group goes to the Old Torrance Neighborhood Association meetings? Making them aware of the proposed changes might be a way to gauge support for the idea. They always seem to be following different initiatives.