Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Anyone ever deal with a club foot?

Anyone ever deal with a club foot?

Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 198
Hello Enthusiasts!!!
I just met a neighbor of mine who has a baby silky who has a club foot. If I could figure out how to post pix from my phone I would.
It doesn't seem to be impairing her mobility but I told her I would pose the question of what to "do" about it to our community.
Thanks in advance for any insight or infosmile
Cheers!
Ann
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 497
hi Ann,
how are you? a club foot as in bended toes? yes, I pic would be so helpful... if you are talking bended toes, yes, I had a chick with that problem and I wrapped her toe with tape, just to make it stay straight... changing it daily so that it does not cut circulation as chicks grow so fast... within a few days, the toe was straight... Sandra is now a grown up, 2 and a half, with healthy feet :)

Here is a link too, about 'club foot' (never heard that term before, but again, English is my second language :)... so I goggled it and found this,
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135774/cure-for-club-foot­

hope that helps.
let us know how she handles it :)
lots of blessings
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 199
Thank you so much Laura!!!love struck
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 26
Here's an article on poultry podiatry that was recently brought to my attention.
https://sites.google....­
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 555
Holy smokes that article has ALOT of information! Thanks for the link.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 200
Yes JJ thank you, that one got bookmarked for sure biggrin
Lisa Ramos O.
user 73122972
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
I found this site by Kathy the Chicken Chick a while back. She has great pictures of curled toe (bumblefoot) and I loved her chicken sandals. She also talks about spraddle leg. Good luck to the little silky.
Lisa Ramos O.
user 73122972
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
oops... forgot the link.... Here it is http://www.the-chicke...­
A former member
Post #: 204
I have a very tiny Game hen I adopted with her 2 daughters a couple years ago. She was born with a deformed foot, according to the girl I adopted from. Helena walks on the upper part of her foot, the toes folded up against the footpad. She gets around quite well, even makes scratching motions with her deformed foot. This makes her leg on that side a little shorter than the other one and she walks with a gimp. She is very tame and affectionate, always running over when I come out to the garden and loves to be picked up and petted. Her claws don't wear down, of course, so I must clip them with doggie nail clippers so they don't grow into her foot.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 202
Thank you all so much for your very helpful links and replies! I have forwarded them all to my neighbor and will keep you posted if there is anything to report biggrin