Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Very sick chicken

Very sick chicken

Barbara H.
user 25584672
Monrovia, CA
Post #: 32
I'm having a chicken disaster. One died 6 weeks ago, egg bound. Another would not lay eggs with hard shells no matter how much calcium was available, but two weeks ago she stopped laying altogether (at about 2 1/2 to 3 years --don't know she's a rescue), much to my relief. My third (of four, now three) is a pullet. She hasn't laid an egg for six weeks after going gangbusters for the first two weeks of her laying life. I read all I could, wrote people and then chalked it up to grief over the death of the other chicken. She was fine yesterday. This morning, she was lying in the coop, neck twisted so that her head was on its side with one eye looking at me. I isolated her and had to go to work after giving her some pedilyte. Came home and she is much sicker, head upside down, beak up in the air, eyes closed. I've given her vitamins, vitamin e and electolytes. She started opening an eye occasionally, but I have to prop her head up on a towel. The really bad news is I have to go to San Diego in the morning and leave her. I don't know how people handle all this. It's been a huge learning curve and I'm still mostly in the dark fearing I'm missing something. And I'm sad. I'm afraid she's eaten something. I know everyone says tomato plants aren't toxic but she managed to eat part of one yesterday that had grown through the enclosure to keep out chickens. Or does she have Merk?
Barbara H.
user 25584672
Monrovia, CA
Post #: 33
Some more info: Her legs are hot so she must have a temperature and she hasn't pooped all day.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 499
hi Barbara,
so sorry you have to go thru this! It does not look good... yes, you are right she must have a fever, which tells me she may have an infection somewhere...
Do you have someone to leave her with? maybe you can drop her off at a vet office in your way to San Diego?

For now, if you have time, I would gently rub her tummy and her back for as long as you could... I know it's late now... but that sometimes help...

I would give her lots of yogurt with kale in it... if she ate something poisoned to her, Kale does magical things... I know... I had a crisis once all my pullets fell very ill and almost died... and in my opinion, Kale saved them...

If you need to call me go ahead, I will be up for a few minutes, but even in the morning you can call me,
909-994-5701...

good luck,
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 556
So sorry Barbara. If you can't find a place to bring her keeping her inside with water available is good. If she is going to pull through she'll need time but if she doesn't you've done all you can and she knows that you love her.

It might be her time to leave this earth and if not you'll be so happy to see her when you get home but prepared for the worse. We're here for you if you need a shoulder to cry on.
Carrie G.
user 15135741
Reseda, CA
Post #: 48
So sorry Barbara. Did you send the first chicken to UC Davis for a necropsy? It's nice to know for sure what is going on.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 320
Barbara, I'm so sorry your girls aren't doing well. It doesn't sound good for this one - by the time they are this far gone, it can be very hard to bring them round. The sad truth of chicken keeping is that, sometimes health and longevity is not in their genes. Do you have a neighbor who would be willing to keep an eye on her and text you with updates? I think keeping her inside, quiet, cool and with access to food and water is the best you can do. If someone could just monitor her for you, at least you could still observe her progress. Big hug and best wishes to you.
Barbara H.
user 25584672
Monrovia, CA
Post #: 35
Thanks for all of the support. My girl still lives. But should I put her out of her misery?
https://vimeo.com/684...­

I fed her while uploading this video. She was much more alert, and hungry. She ate scrambled eggs, yogurt and electolyes, although I'm feeding her like a baby chick. She gobbles it down though.

Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 501
omg Barbara, the video was so hard to watch, poor girl... I wonder what she got!? I never saw anything like that... You told me over the phone what if it was a stroke, and I keep wondering what if you are correct!?maybe a stroke? don't know anything about Merke's -

I would give her a chance especially if she is eating and becoming more alert... here is a story I found about a hen who suffered a stroke...
http://reverendhellfire.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/764/­
I'm sure every stroke has different symptoms, so who knows? but the fact that your hen is getting better is a super exciting sign!

I would keep her indoors but let her have lots of sunshine (Sun heals. period! :) and I would even suggest when you have a little time you take her outside and let her rest on the bare soil... I do this with my disable chicken I have...

I would keep giving her all the goodies you are giving her... as long as she is eating and drinking, she has a great chance :)

keep me posted and feel free to call me again, as much as you want :)
lots of blessings
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 198
So sorry to hear about your girl. I hope she gets better, keep us posted and if anything happens, consider sending her off to UC Davis. For the good of the rest of your flock, it's good to know what happened.

I know I learned a great deal when my hen died. I've changed a lot of things because of what I've learned. Hopefully it will help the others. Even if I know what happened, I'm planning to send mine out because they alert you to things you never would have guessed about. Parasite loads, genetic defects, etc.

Sending good thoughts for your poor girl!
Shelley
user 10265782
La Crescenta, CA
Post #: 16
When I took a dead chicken to UC Davis, they told me they would euthanize a dying chicken. Nice to know since it can be the kindest thing and the vet is expensive.