addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Very sick chicken

Very sick chicken

JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 28
that is good to know the service is available, thanks for sharing.
A former member
Post #: 36
Thank you for the information on euthanization. I was wondering if and how along with when. The news is, the girl still lives. I will try to post another video. She's still got the lolling, upside down head thing going. She actually eats that way. But she has no temperature and is much more alert, and has turned herself (how I don't know) around in her bed twice. The backyard chicken blog folks seem to think its crook or wry neck that will get better in the next ten days. I hope they are right. If so, it's a vitamin deficiency issue which is quite upsetting in its own right because I feed her organic stuff and I'm going to have to readdress the feed and change it.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 505
Thank you for the information on euthanization. I was wondering if and how along with when. The news is, the girl still lives. I will try to post another video. She's still got the lolling, upside down head thing going. She actually eats that way. But she has no temperature and is much more alert, and has turned herself (how I don't know) around in her bed twice. The backyard chicken blog folks seem to think its crook or wry neck that will get better in the next ten days. I hope they are right. If so, it's a vitamin deficiency issue which is quite upsetting in its own right because I feed her organic stuff and I'm going to have to readdress the feed and change it.
hi Barbara,
so happy she is getting better... you are a awesome mommy and she is very lucky to have you, who is giving her a chance... as long as she is getting better, no fever, more alert and eating like a pig, wow! you can't ask for more signs of improvement... give her a couple of weeks and I would add that manually doing 'physical therapy' with her by moving her neck very gently the way you did on the video should help a lot too...
Thanks for giving her a chance... many would have killed her already :(
lots of blessings
ps, if you need any support or even need to bring her here to me, let me know. I would be more than happy to support you in any way...
A former member
Post #: 205
Barbara---I queried my vet, Dr Micco, and here is her response and my original note---
http://vimeo.com/6845...­

Dr T---have you seen this sort of thing? This hen has been ill with a head tilt thing since the 13th, but the owner feeds her and she eats readily---scrambled eggs, yogurt, electrolytes. She has improved with pooping and alertness since the episode began. I don't know her exact age, she is a pullet that was laying for 2 weeks normally, when this disease struck---according to the owner. I am very curious, reading "Chicken Health Handbook" and not really figuring out anything definitive.
Thanks if you have time Susan
Teresa Micco

3:54 PM (8 minutes ago)

to me
Looks like Marek's disease. Other possibilities are Fowl Cholera, Newcastle Disease, or Vit E/selenium deficiency. All less likely than Marek's. T
A former member
Post #: 37
Thanks for the sad information. I thought she was getting better but I just found her dead. I'm going to send her off for an autopsy. Very, very sad.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 507
Thanks for the sad information. I thought she was getting better but I just found her dead. I'm going to send her off for an autopsy. Very, very sad.
hello Barbara,
so very sorry, it's always so devastating to loose our loved ones. Find comfort on how much you loved and took care of her all the way to the very end. She is happy and healthy now, thanking you for all you did...

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you,
lots of blessings :(
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 179
So sorry to hear the sad news Barbara... It is so hard especially when you have spent so much time trying to nurse them back to health. crying
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 30
Oh Barbara...I'm so sorry. Me new babies just arrived and I'm already so attached. Losing one that you've had, plus nursed, must be devastating. Good that you're sending her...it will help us all learn. You are in our thoughts!
Carrie G.
user 15135741
Reseda, CA
Post #: 49
Barbara, so sorry for your loss. Thanks for keeping us informed.
A former member
Post #: 38
The preliminary, verbal report is either Mereks or an inner ear infection. I will know more next week. Thanks for the kind words.