Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Update on Local Chicken Availability

Update on Local Chicken Availability

Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 31
My babies arrived this week from My Pet Chicken. The process went very smoothly, great communication, excellent packaging...but we lost two of ten in transit. My guess is they needed an additional heat pack...but who knows. The remaining eight are happy and thriving. I'm beginning to get lots of questions from neighbors as to where they can find chickens. After doing a search, I can report the following: Of course, My Pet Chicken and Dare 2 Dream Farms...but also The Birdman Petshop in Highland Park has Rhode Island Red chicks, and Malibu Feed Bin has 3 week old Cuckoo Marans and Welsummers. The City Of LA Animal shelter in Van Nuys has a lot of young chickens but they don't specify the sex, and the Lancaster facility has a bunch of both male and female adults. In both cases, looks like they took over whole flocks. Everyone under the sun has beautiful adult roosters. Check Petfinder.com and search under birds. Cluck, cluck cluck to all of you and happy chickening!
emily
EmilyfromNC
Redondo Beach, CA
Post #: 14
I know of someone near PV who will likely have some spare silkies soon... Ask me again in about 2 weeks!
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 36
We also took a drive down to Norco last weekend to visit Russell at Chickens Galore! Easy trip...east off the 15 freeway between the 60 and 91. Many, many chicks of different ages. Russell was very knowledgeable and helpful. Wish I'd done this rather than mail order and stress out the delicate little babies.
nora
user 12397577
Monterey Park, CA
Post #: 46
when go out to chickens galore is there a feed store nearby where can get their feed, scratch, calcium, DE, bedding, etc?
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 548
when go out to chickens galore is there a feed store nearby where can get their feed, scratch, calcium, DE, bedding, etc?
hi Nora,
oh YES YES!!! just the very small city of Norco has multiple feed stores... it's kind of crazy and they are all busy! Just drive down the main street of "Old Norco" (6th street, East of the 15 Fwy and you will find many feed stores... Tony's, Linda's, American Country Store, a animal vet supply store... tell you, this is the little farm town... I moved here two years ago, LOVE IT! :)
Sandra
user 91427452
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Laura,
Do you think I can find a French Black Copper Maran hen in Norco? I'm planning on driving to Rancho Cucamonga next week and could make a stop to Norco. Do you know a reputable farm? Thanks!