Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › what do you want for meetups?

what do you want for meetups?

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 564
Please Let Me Know If You Want To Know About Chicken Related Events On The MeetuS Or Maybe Just The Blog Or Message Board. I Try To Exlain WO Is Runnong The Events Ao You Will K.ow If It Is A Meetup Run Evemt Or If it's Run By The California Poultry Pr Other Schools. But I don't Think People Read Things Closely And Are Confused. We Can Try No Extra Events If That.S Ehat People Would Prefer. Pkease Reply If You Have DNated Money At MeetupsTo Help Support The Group. Thanks, roberta
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 327
Hi Roberta! I must admit I've been a little put off by the recent batch of "$25 to attend" meetings. I realize they're from outside the group, and I understand the guys are trying to get their urban farm project off the ground, and I don't begrudge them. But, perhaps "PAID NON-MEETUP EVENT" could appear in the title? And, it would be great if we could get members to host some non-paid, social meetings like we used to have, to balance out the paid events. I think the casual, social aspect of this group, sharing information freely to help everyone, is what makes it such a strong community. The message board certainly reflects that. I would be willing to host another meeting at my house, even though it will be &%&^$$ing hot for the next couple of months, if that would get the ball rolling. Maybe a Friday night wine and cheese kinda thing. Perhaps other members would be up to rotate around, Friday nights when it's cool - no real structure other than community sharing and socializing? It doesn't always have to be an organized lecture/demo thing. Just a bunch of chicken folks getting together to talk to people who don't think they're nuts to have chickens with names . . . . tongue so that's my two cents.
Lisa H.
user 65302472
Altadena, CA
Post #: 7
Thank you Roberta for asking. I think it is beneficial to hear about any and all chicken-related events. Then people can make their own choice about whether to attend or not and whether to pay the fees required or not.

I think people already know that a lot of the information offered in the $25 classes can be obtained for free (or low cost) from other chicken enthusiasts, or found on the internet or youtube, or obtained through other means, such as the UCCE Master Gardener program, or even the various City or County of Los Angeles programs. However, people should be allowed to make their own choice, for whatever reason, to pay. Other options, such as members hosting events on a donation basis, is a good alternative to the $25 classes, too.

Asking people to host an event on a donation basis to cover expenses is a great foundation for this group, in my opinion. The socializing aspect is fun, too. I like the idea of wine and cheese! Asking people for donations to cover expenses is a great way to go since this is not a business or a non-profit foundation, but a neighborhood/community/social volunteer group. I will happily host an event at my home once I get my yard and chickens set up. I hope this will be within the next 6-12 months (there is an incredible amount of work to be done!).
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 568
Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. I've seen some people list meetups as no host to show it's not a group thing. I just haven't been able to figure it out the site. I'll keep looking or we can figure out a title message like cynthia mentioned. We will need to plan some upcoming meetups. Social sounds great. But hot doesn't... We'll keep working on things.
JJ
user 80252532
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 34
Cynthia, thanks for your comments, my family can't help turning their head to laugh when chicken topics come up =) It is nice to have chicken chat with people who laugh and give their chickens names. If the social side of it does not revolve around visiting chicken coops, it also relieves bio-security issues. It might be fun to meet up at the LA County Fair this summer and look at chickens that are already on display. I think they also have speakers on chicken related topics.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 328
Hi JJ - I think coop visits are do-able, as long as we're all on the same page about health concerns. So in my case, I will put out a tray for people to sanitize their shoes in (mild bleachy water and a scrubber). I wouldn't plan on letting my hens out, or letting anyone into my coop . . . most socializing would happen on the patio where the hens are not allowed. Everyone has a different setup, so this won't work everywhere, but it works in my yard, and I think it helps new members and those who don't yet have hens to see what actually works in an urban yard, so they can steal ideas to make their own situation happen. I also think a field trip to the fair is a great idea!
emily
EmilyfromNC
Redondo Beach, CA
Post #: 15
For meetups, I keep wishing that there would be one closer to the South Bay. I wonder if there are others wishing for meetups closer to their location?

I'd really like something low-key - like a potluck at a park - maybe at several different locations around LA. I liked the suggestion of meeting at the fair too!

One other thing I'd really appreciate is some kind of 'training session' for building your own coop. I have some rudimentary skills with tools, but upon ordering my first roll of hardware cloth, I realized I was in over my head!!

Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 579
I know I'm getting ready for the build of my big one and we've had several in Long Beach. If we can find a place in Torrance or Redondo Beach then that would be great. Especially during Sept it would be nice to have one in a cool ocean city. :)
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 200
+1 Cynthia. I've been slightly put off by the pay to play meet up frenzy lately. I don't see anything wrong with it, just too many pay for /not enough casual meet ups. I'm willing to host another, but as Cynthia says, probably after summer. It's too dang hot now in Pasadena. Also, I've been super busy.

That said, I'd love to get together socially. What about a egg swap among people to try different varieties? Could be fun? Also, the wine and cheese party is pretty fun ( and easy to host, I'll add)
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 48
We are in the midst of a major remodel, but once it's finished, I have a very large yard that will be perfect for South Bay Meetups. It can accommodate as many people that choose to attend. Dangerous right now. I agree...the last few Meetups were quite pricey and the topics, although interesting and things I'd like to know, weren't pertinent for me at this time. I feel better about throwing money in the jar. It might be time for something on food since there seem to be a lot of questions. Still don't really understand the ins and outs of sprouting and fermenting. Mine are about to move off the medicated crumbles and I have absolutely no idea where to go from here. Our local feed store began selling Kruse...but they are new to the product, can't answer questions and some things still have to be ordered. Mash...crumbles...pellets...who knows?