Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Roundworm infestation in yard for my free ranging chickens

Roundworm infestation in yard for my free ranging chickens

Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 538
hi Vickie,
yes, some of my chickens have access to my compose and poop piles and serve themselves... I am now covering the poop pile, which they love! based on your experience... but I don't mind the compose pile... it's not like the poop pile that is 100% poop! --- but again, to me, nutrition is everything...

JJ, great question about sod, never even cross my mind... I goggled and couldn't find a source but some other forum about tortoises discussed it and someone suggested wheat grass... I thought that was a great idea, better than just sod :)
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 199
Knock on wood, I've had no worm issues with my compost areas for my chickens. I use it in their runs and even the coop. I do throw new leaves/ grass on about once a week. They turn it all the time and are quite happy.

If you have compost, be careful with DE. It kills everything beneficial. It's also very hazardous to breathe. Even the food grade stuff. I have a professional brewer friend that warned how dangerous it is. Food grade is better but it is silica, and not good to breathe, for you or the hens.