addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Scratch and Peck layer?

Scratch and Peck layer?

debra
user 11624434
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 7
Does anyone use and love this feed? And if so, would you be willing to sell me a couple of pounds to try out with my girls? I'm hesitant to buy without trying it out first... the ladies have suddenly gotten picky and the amount of food waste the last few months has been ridiculous. Also, is there an eastside Azure Standard drop? I'm in Echo Park - the only one I've seen posted about is Winnetka which is a bit too much of a trek...

Thanks in advance!
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 187
I use it and like it... I switched from the cascade feed at Azure when they started grinding it really fine, and was basically powder. I'm on the Westside so you probably don't want to get feed to try from me but I know a bunch of other people on your side of town use & like this feed. It has a bunch of hole grains etc etc...
debra
user 11624434
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 8
That's sounds like what I'm looking for. Initially I was thinking I would mix my own but in order for it to be cost effective I would have to buy huge quantities... more than I have room to store.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 544
i use it but unfortunately, they do grind a good portion of this feed to... I don't know why, chickens normally like grainy stuff more than powder-ish stuff... even the bag admits and suggests to add water to the powder stuff they leave behind... my question is, WHY make it so powderish in the first place...

nevertheless, I am serving it... mix with other things, but there is waste...
good idea to try to get some small quantity first... I am way far, in Norco, but like Amanda said, there are people probably closer to you :) -
TonyC
thchen
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 25
And if so, would you be willing to sell me a couple of pounds to try out with my girls? I'm hesitant to buy without trying it out first... Also, is there an eastside Azure Standard drop? I'm in Echo Park - the only one I've seen posted about is Winnetka which is a bit too much of a trek...
I have an unopen bag of the "layer", I'm in West SGV, which isn't too far from Echo Park. PM me, or however it works, if you want a couple of pounds. Roberta was nice enough to part with her "grower" bag, and the birds loved it at first. They've recently been kinda been picky, so I'll probably pawn off the Scratch & Peck "grower" myself soon. biggrin
joAnn O
TokenGirl
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 26
Hi Debra,

I just switched from Cascade to Scratch & Peck. At first my girls would have nothing to do with it. That lasted about two days. I withheld all else and soon they saw it wasn't so bad.

As for waste, I never feed dry. Either I soak it overnight for a pseudo ferment or actually have a fermented feed pot going. That way about all they leave behind are the shells that are to big to swallow. FYI I also supplement with alfalfa pellets (also soaked & mixed in)

Anyway, I'm in Rose Hill/Montecito Heights (a bit closer to you) if you'd like a couple of pounds. PM me if you are interested. As for the Azure drop closest to you I think it would be either Burbank or Rose Bowl.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 334
Funny thing - I've been feeding a mix of Cascade and S&P, and the girls seem to like the fine mash BETTER. I'm finding a LOT of the grain portion of the feed abandoned on the coop floor. I'll probably be going back to straight Cascade next time I buy feed.
Winnetka F.
user 14092234
Winnetka, CA
Post #: 18
Give Azure a call with your nearby zip codes to find a drop for you.
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 212
I've started using this and am having good results, but I do ferment and feed NO straight dry. Actually my dog broke into the plastic (BPA-free of course) sub-container I keep it in for easy refills and ate almost the whole thing!
To be honest though, it's hard to tell of the girls "like" it or not, it's fermented and I always mix fruits & veggies, dog kibble, diatomaceous earth, nettles & sometimes SCOBY in with it so they're never eating it straight.
I'm more than happy to provide you with whatever you need though, I have a couple bags on hand... I'm in Shadow Hills (NE SFV), please let me know if I can help biggrin