addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Chickens not eating

Chickens not eating

Angie
Dreamleaf
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 1
We have four 1 year old hens. Within the past month, each one has laid one soft egg. I haven't been too concerned since it was an anomaly for each of them (they're all good layers). Last night I finally bought some crushed oyster shell and when I brought it to them in a bowl, I think the "new" bowl scared them and they ran away from me. I put the bowl in the run because I thought they might peck at the oyster shells as they made their way to the coop to sleep. They refused to enter the coop through the run once the bowl was in it. Naturally I removed the bowl. This morning when they emerged from the coop & run around 6am to free range in our backyard, they didn't go anywhere near their regular food or water on the other side of the backyard (which is ALWAYS where they go first -- to their feed). They pecked at grass but wanted nothing to do with their food. I even picked one girl up and placed her down right in front of the bowl of food and she walked away from it. Two and a half hours later they still had not touched their food. I then had to leave for work so I'm not sure if they've eaten any since 8:30 this morning (it's now nearly 1pm).

Has this happened to anyone else? I'd love any info/advice. Maybe I'll return home tonight and they will have eaten their food, but I'd love to know if this seems alarming to any of you.

Thanks!
Angie
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 591
Hmm, not sure what it could be other than being a little suspicious??? My girls didn't finish all their feed yesterday but this morning when I gave them pancakes, they were gone in a second. I'm sure they will eat again when they are hungry. If you get worried that they won't eat, some pancakes with eggshells in them can really get them eating again. :)
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 545
hi Angie,
that is very interesting... the new bowl looked any different than the other ones?
what did you find out when you got home? it's almost 8pm now... before we jumped into any advice and since it's after hours, maybe you can tell us if they ate or not? :)

but I'm sure Roberta is correct in that giving them something they love will break their fear :)

ps, Roberta, what do you make pancakes from? are these non flour pancakes? curious... :)
Angie
Dreamleaf
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
Thanks, Roberta and Laura! When I returned home right before 8pm and as they were putting themselves to bed, they'd eaten just one of the two bowls of food I put out for them every day. It's definitely strange but I was happy they at least ate one bowl. Better still, they were back to their normal selves this morning and went straight (per usual) for both bowls. I guess I overreacted. :)
Angie
Dreamleaf
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
P.S. They're not at all interested in the oyster shells. Any ideas about how to entice them?
ceebs
ceebs
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 86
Are they molting? Half my flock has started to molt and they don't have their usual appetites.