addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › New Chicks Adopted By My Silkie - Success!!!

New Chicks Adopted By My Silkie - Success!!!

Marie M.
user 45254602
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 44
The past couple of months have been very difficult for our little flock of 7. In that short period of time, I have lost 4 for different reasons and I have cried so much that I almost gave up on having chickens. A BIG Thank you to Laura Bonilla for talking to me and emailing me. You're an amazing person and I couldn't have gotten through this difficult time without your help!! Anyway, what's left are two silkies and one cuckoo maran (although this whole time I thought she was a barred rock shock). My buff silkie is very close to the cuckoo and the blue silkie is the lone survivor of the other flock of 5. Her name is Itty Bitty. Well, par for the course both silkies went broody so I purchased a couple of day old chicks from a local place and prayed that Itty Bitty would foster them so she could re-establish a new flock of her own. Lots and lots of prayers, 24 hours later, she has taken them, literally, under her wing. They follow her around everywhere and she never leaves their side. The other two are accepting of the new additions as well. This was never the plan as I expected that I would have my original 7 for the next several years but as I always say life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. So if you ever considered adding to your flock, this is as natural as it can be without hatching out from eggs.
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 49
What a sweet story, Marie. I hope this will be the beginning of a new, happy and healthy chapter for your girls!
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 547
hi Marie,
such great ending to your difficult times. It was my pleasure talking to you. I feel as if I made a friend. Thank YOU, you are an amazing person too :) - In this forum I think we have so many amazing people, so many willing to go all the extra mile... I do appreciate it so much!

Thanks for posting your story and I'm SO happy that Itty Bitty has become a mommy. I know how awesome is to let these girls experience being moms... I wish I could do it with my most broody girls, but I just can't handle more roosters, which is always a 50-50 chance...

Keep us posted. Again, I'm so happy it ended this way. I know how hard it was to lose your girls.
Let's stay in touch! :)