Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Broody hen hatched some chicks!

Broody hen hatched some chicks!

A former member
Post #: 2
My neighbor who has a rooster (as I do not) and gave me 4 possibly fertile eggs to stick under my very broody Partridge Pendesenca. As of August 1, Carmen hatched out two chicks. The remaining eggs did not hatch. so I thought, what if I get a few chicks and try let Carmen raise them too? So I trundled down to Blacksmith's Corner in BellFlower and picked up two Asterlorps and a Buffie. Carmen was none to thrilled and pecked at them, so I put them in a brooder in my tackroom. The new chicks are about 5 days older than my hatchlings.
My question is this: What if I smuggled the new chicks into Carmen's nest at night. do you think she might accept them?
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 546
hi Joselyn,
What a cute story... At night you have a really good chance that Carmen would take them. The sooner the better because they problem is that if the chicks get used to you and a different environment they will not stay under Carmen when you try to smuggle them.

It happened to me. Pam was fine with me sticking my hand (with chick in it) under her to deliver the two chicks... but they had already claimed me as their mommy and would absolutely not stay. Those two are the ones in my picture. They ended up growing up with me, until they told me they wanted to stay outside to sleep :)

So, again, try to do it late at night BUT you may want to watch what happens afterwards.. if you are able to ensure their safety also in the morning, to make sure she does not kill them!

Good luck... keep us posted,
A former member
Post #: 3
Hey thanks Laura!
I meant to try this last night, but I got wrapped up in a movie and fell asleep...rats! I'll tonight after the girls go to bed. It's really dark in the coop I have Carmen and the babies in. I close the door to the nesting box at night, but there's plenty of room in there for 5 babies and mama.
I'll let you know how it works out.
A former member
Post #: 4
Well, I did it. It looks okay for the new chicks. No attacks, only a few peeps and contented clucks. When I shined flashlight in, everybody was under Carmen. I hoping it's okay tomorrow morning.
A former member
Post #: 5
As of 7:00 am, Carmen has accepted everyone but the Buffy. She was mean and pecked at her, so I had to move her into the brooder in my tack room. The poor thing was so scared she peeped constantly. I gave her a stuffed gorilla to cuddle with and that helped a lot.
My next door neighbor suggested that I lock the mama out of the coop and put the Buffy back with her peeps during the day at least. Maybe Carmen will behave herself after that. There is no light source in there, but during the day it won't matter. I think it"s worth a try. If not, I'll just move all the chicks in together. Carmen my pine for awhile, but she'll get over it.