addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Disappointing necropsy and note of caution. Be somewhat wary of local breeders.

Disappointing necropsy and note of caution. Be somewhat wary of local breeders.

Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 65
Oops...Jessi Bloom wrote Free Range Chicken Gardens. Patricia Foreman wrote City Chicks and discussed Health Care. Having a hard time deciphering my notes!
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 243
Karen,

I'll check those out. I generally like to avoid all the medicine and such, if I wanted that stuff, I'd buy my eggs at Vons! I do honestly feel some breeders don't have the best stock- I think they have limited breeding stock and end up with some inbreeding and generally not great health. As Marty (a former member) used to say, chickens are bred to be essentially disposable. It's sad for those of us that think of them as pets.

It's a bummer when they get sick, it just would be nice if breeders would be a bit more honest. It could save a lot of heartache. I am still bummed about my Claire. I was SO attached to her.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 212
Karen it's Gape worm that suffocates chickens :D
I've used collidal silver ......
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 612
Gosh I don't Eveb Know Where To Start. Brandy, I Feel responsible For Even Posting That Woman's Request For Help To Get Word Out That She Was Downsizing For Personal Reasons. She Definitely Overstated her Knowledge.

Unfortunstely I Think Everyone Who Allows Their Chickens To Free RangeEi Are At Risk For Cocci, Round Worms And mareks Because Of The Presence.Of These ThingS in The Environment and For Anyone Who Manages An Open Flock. But I Can't Imagine Them Being cooped Up All The Time WithOut Access To Soil.

We Definitelt Have A Problem With Inbreeding And Breeding For Pretty Eggs Rather Than Long Life, Sturdy, Hralthy Hens With Great Personalities.

I Want To Say More But I'll WaiIt tilL i'm At A Computer. I.hope Your GIrls Come out Of this Ok.I Think We Should Go Over The Health Certifications That Are Available For Backyard Flocks For A Meetup. We Could Go Over The Ag Recommendationa Too Which I Think Are Extreme Like Washing your Tires When You Get Home.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 244
Roberta, yes. That would be a good meetup. I can still have meet ups on my deck, I'll just keep people out of the chicken yard.

I hope it's just exposure to soil and not that crazy lady. If it makes you feel any better, I saw her on Facebook before you recommended her. I guess yours just died a bit sooner? I just feel bad for Bok Bok. I'll be devastated if Charlie dies. She's my new favorite and she jumped in my lap voluntarily today :)

I would love to talk to people potentially adding to their flock about the hazards of some of these "breeders". The cocci, especially, never showed up until I introduced the new birds. They had been free-ranging for a year. :/

I'm trying to beat this- I dosed them with Corrid the last two days and noticed a few more bloody poops. I wonder if the Corrid is helping draw it out or something? I also got frontline to kill any lice. I'm hoping this pushes them back into the healthy zone. The Marans are just not themselves. They need something. If it wasn't 100 per visit, minimum, I'd take them in to the vet. It's just not great.
MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 11
Oh, dear. You know the problem I have been talking about in the other thread, about my skinny chickens? Some of them came from there. I remember when I got the adults, thinking they were skinny, but it didn't really register. And I can't say for sure that mine were not skinny before. But other than skinniness and poor laying - which I am attributing to heat and molt - they don't have any symptoms of cocci or mareks. But now I'm stressed that I might have brought something bad into my flock. (I don't think though, that la Donna intentionally misled anyone. She was in a very bad spot and let herself get really overwhelmed physically and mentally. I know that she had plans to get herself back on track. I hope they worked out. She's a nice person, just under a lot of stress.)
Karen C.
user 83873082
Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA
Post #: 66
You're right, Amanda...gapeworm. Another note deciphering problem!
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 213
I wrote this long reply on my phone and lost it!!! Ugh... So when I'm back at a keyboard I'll post again but Brandi I wanted to let you know that I had great success riding my hen of lice by simply bathing her in Dr.Bronners & salt. If you are going the frontline route, I'm not sure why you don't go the Valbazen , Safeguard route... Those wormers kill external parasitesst the same time and obviously there is a withdrawal period with all of these products.... I have both wormers if you need them!

I'll post more thoughts later....
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 349
I know you are all on the topic of treatment, and have that well covered. I had a thought I wanted to share, that relates to your comments about the breeder. I totally agree - if you think something isn't right, you should run not walk away. Your flock is your primary concern when you are adding new birds. It's a risk to bring in a grown bird from any source, even an NPIP certified breeder, because the new birds will be stressed and more susceptible to getting sick. As much of an aggravation as it is, when I've added to my birds I have added day-old chicks that I've reared in my house, and I know others who prefer to buy hatching eggs, in order to start with a clean slate. I know it's not practical for everyone, but if health and biosecurity are your main concern, buying started pullets will always be the riskiest choice. I did bring in one started pullet, once, and while I got away with it, I don't think I would ever do it again.

It does sound like maybe these problems all started from one breeder? I don't know who you all are referring to, but I'm so sorry that you are suffering from someone else's ignorance. I hope you all get through it with no further losses. Under the circumstances, I think you should go with the chemical wormers and perhaps antibiotics. They are harder on the birds' systems, and you have the withdrawal period, but you are more certain to eliminate the problem fastest that way, which will allow your birds to start healing sooner. Natural remedies are good for milder conditions and as prevention, but I think the situation sounds dire enough that stronger action is warranted.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 245
Cynthia and Amanda,

I think you are right about this one. I have a necropsy that confirms the cocci (moderate level) and roundworms (mild level) the Marek's is another story altogether. I'm kind of mad about this whole thing because I sought out chicks and got the day or so old ones from the breeder. It's the started pullet, Agnes, that she talked me in to that most likely started this. And Cynthia, you are right, bringing in started pullets is risky. I NEVER should have done it. My gut said, NO. I didn't listen...

I do think just going chemical wormer and antibiotics may be the way to go since I opted for the frontline. They are just miserable and I cannot lose another one. Little and Butterscotch just don't look good and haven't laid eggs for much of the summer. Butterscotch has puffy eyes and Little is isolated and slow moving. She's lost weight and doesn't eat much. She still gets excited about meal worms and I gave her a dropper full of Corrid water this morning. I just don't know if I should start with the Corrid and move into anti-biotics and a wormer, or wait and give their systems a rest. I'm not eating eggs for a while, I just want my ladies heathy again.

Priscilla and Pecky are laying eggs and generally perky and Agnes (The vector) and Charlie seem healthy. It's just that I know that if one has the stuff (Bok Bok) logic dictates the others probably do as well.