Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Disappointing necropsy and note of caution. Be somewhat wary of local breeders.

Disappointing necropsy and note of caution. Be somewhat wary of local breeders.

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 263
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
MaryEllen,

I think people are foolish to think that trapping raccoons or possums can replace a properly predator proof coop. You are absolutely right. As chicken keepers, it's our job to provide a safe environment. Predator proofing isn't that hard, it just takes planning (and a lot of hardware cloth).

Raccoons are here to stay, just like hawks, owls, coyotes, dogs, cats and any other animal that will opportunistically kill a chicken. You can't go around killing things because they *might* kill your chickens. My next door neighbor, right next to my coop, has been invaded by raccoons in their attic. Knock on wood, my girls have been safe in their coop, so far. I try to be vigilant, and careful, for my chickens sake. I let my girls free range all day because of the quality of life it offers them. I hope I have provided a safe area, that's all I can do.
Susan Jones
SueJ
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 112
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hi guys, regarding the data that I've compiled, I'm constantly updating it so those 3 huge long posts above that I made are already outdated. If anyone wants to go through them, as you mentioned Amanda, I can email you a Word document which you can make changes and email back to me... At some point, when my bullet point list of remedies, ailments, etc is cleaned up and finalized, we can start a new Discussion here posting it, with a title specifically for "Natural Remedies, Meds, Ailments, Dosage", etc. If you're up for receiving my Word list and making corrections, please send me your email. I want to do this before I get burnt out on working on it, I've been spending hours on it for the last week or more. :)