Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Puffy eye and generally unwell. Maybe respiratory?

Puffy eye and generally unwell. Maybe respiratory?

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 248
Butterscotch, top photo, has puffy eyes and generally isn't well. She stopped laying eggs a few weeks ago. I thought it was the heat at first, then the reaper came to visit. So now it's evident that something is quite wrong.

I need to work up a treatment plan to eradicate the stuff that isn't good around here.

Little has a pale comb, has lost weight and isn't interested in eating. She is isolated and stopped laying eggs a few weeks ago. I have her in a dark box resting in the house. She didn't perk up as much as the rest when I started Corrid and did the frontline treatment.

I'd love some input and I'm thinking that going chemical is the way to go, at this point. I just need some guidance of whether you can do it all at once or if staggering the treatments is a better way to go. I learned that using Poly vi sol while treating with Corrid or other coccidiostats makes the medicine less effective. Apparently, you want to stop ACV and poly vi sol while using Corrid. I just want to make sure the wormer and antibiotics aren't negated by each other or Corrid.

Thanks for all the support and advice.

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 258
I gave the first dose of Tylan 50 injectable today to the two birds with the active symptoms. I can update their progress and track the symptoms, if anyone is interested. Maybe it will help if someone runs across a similar issue.
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 588
hi Brandi,
I haven't responded to your threads because I don't do meds and don't know anything about the subject AND you have a good help around you... but of course we would love to know the progress of your flock... it does not matter how I feel about meds, the important thing is that your flock gets better and I'm keeping your flock in my thoughts and prayers... :)

I think nobody has responded to this one because there is the other thread where you are discussing the same thing, I think... but I love pictures and I appreciate you taking the time to upload them in middle of all what you are going thru...

good luck with your flock... let's go the worst is behind us now :)
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 260
Laura

I'm anti meds as much as possible. Given the choice between no meds and dead chickens, I'd take meds. I've tried the holistic approach all summer. It hasn't worked, for whatever reason.

I'm going to be as conservative as possible about the meds, the respiratory infection appears to be responding to the Tylan, Little is drastically more alert. She will probably return to the flock after her injections tomorrow.

I do agree with the least amount of chemical intervention possible, but, my girls were really hurting. I didn't want them to be uncomfortable or ill any longer, honestly.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 261
Also, Laura
I bought wormer, but will not use it until they are really needing it. I'm going to try to let the cayenne, ACV and probiotics kill as much as possible and see if I need to do chemicals.

The antibiotics were the last resort. Little was dying without them. She couldn't stand yesterday. Today she is looking around and acting more like a chicken.
Susan J.
SueJ
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 101
I agree, when in dire situations, give meds. When facing a suffering animal, and giving meds could mean their eggs will no longer be safe to eat, but the bird will live and suffering will end, I vote for giving meds. When parents don't give kids medical treatment and those kids suffer, or die, those parents are deemed negligible and criminal, and face charges, with good reason. Our pets are in our care, custody and control, natural remedies like garlic and oregano oil and all the others, aren't going to eradicate disease. However I will start using natural remedies in hopes of preventive measures. "Meds" doesn't have to be deemed a bad word. They're not all detrimental. From what I've read (now that I'm freaked out reading about all these ailments, lice, and worms!), certain ailments can kill chickens within a few days if not treated quickly.

Syringes - You mentioned in your other blog, where can we get syringes. I've read online that you can sometimes get syringes from pharmacies, or try asking a vet for a few syringes (they should give these for a few bucks I'd imagine, or free). Also try pet stores, and feed stores. Some hobby stores also carry syringes with needles, which are used for placing miniscule amounts of glue in delicate small spaces. (I build furniture as a hobby and recently bought syringes for wood glue at Robin's hobby store and also at Stephenson's Hay in Glendale). Some of the syringes at hobby stores had very delicate thin needles, too small for my wood working, but I imagine a good size for chickens. These are normal syringes & needles, not "craft" items. The needles & syringes at Stephenson's Hay were quite large (they're measured in needle gauge size) for horses, but maybe other feed stores, like East Valley Feed in Tujunga, have thinner needles?

These places sell syringes for sure:
Robin's Hobby Services - 1844 W Glenoaks Blvd, Glendale. Between Western & Alameda, south side of Glenoaks. (818) 240-2093 ‎ www.robinshobby.com
Burbank's House of Hobbies - near Alameda, 911 S Victory Blvd, Burbank. (818) 848-3674 ‎ www.houseofhobbies.com
Stephen’s Hay - 1840 Riverside Dr Glendale 91201. (818) 242-4540
Damoor's Feed store - 1532 Riverside Dr, Glendale 91201. (818) 242-2841 www.damoors.com

Have you seen these blogs? Some are quite good reads. Most suggest that puffy eyes are related to respiratory, however one owner found a tick on her bird's eyelid. Another owner figured out her bird had Wet Fowl Pox with a big eyelid growth that she removed. Some of the blogs suggest meds different than Tylan50.

Do your birds with puffy eyes also have eye mucous? Are their eyes swelling shut, or just a little swollen? Some of these blogs offer solid suggestions on what the illnesses could be and various remedies. Diagnosis on what the ailment is depends on all eye symptoms, such as mucous or no mucous, eye growth or none, odors, eye swollen shut or not, etc. If it's respiratory, many folks suggest Vicks Vapor rub to assist with breathing, in addition to meds.

http://www.backyardch...­
http://www.homesteadi...­
http://www.dummies.co...­
http://www.backyardch...­
http://answers.yahoo....­

I feel so bad that you're going through this, you must be exhausted. Do you have anyone helping you with treating your birds? I mean like a friend or someone?
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 264
Susan

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look. I'm comfortable eating the eggs after the withdrawal period, in this case. I have been doing this alone, so all the replies and support on this board has been so incredibly helpful. Just hearing what others do, even if it's a different approach, as Laura mentioned, is helpful. When you normally are anti meds, it's hard to decide to use them. I'm thankful for the support and advice. I'm always learning something!

My Marans have been less than well the better part of the summer. Something was just off. I noticed some "cold" like symptoms and the one just had puffy eyes. Just like a person when they get a nasty cold, I guess. The Tylan really seems to be helping. Little was alert and semi spry today, so I put her back outside. Hopefully she's going to start eating soon. She's lost a lot of weight.

Susan J.
SueJ
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 103
I totally agree about taking in all advice and differing opinions, they help us find a middle ground that works for us. Some posts about disease make me paranoid (which is ok, it's smart to be a bit concerned and cautious, especially with avoiding Mareks which I'm reading we can't get rid of out of our soil?!), while other posts about letting them build immune system, help me be not overly worried, just take precautions.

About your ones that have lost weight, maybe feeding them more worms would help? Although I'm not sure how much is too many? But they do always seem to have enough energy to eat worms! You can buy well-priced meal worms at Kahoots, and maybe decent price at feed stores closer to you too. (If you find other places that sell cheap worms, let us know! Kahoots is 60 mile round trip for me, 30miles each way from Glendale), but I do like that place, they have a pretty big selection of chicken stuff.

Brandi read the top link (above) in particular.. here are snippets:

Eggcessive: "This looks like the start of a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma CRD or coryza.. I would start her on Tylan 50--if you can give her a shot, give 1/2 ml. into the breast muscle each day for 3 days. You will need syringes and needles, If you can't give shots, give the same dose orally for 5 days. This medicine is in the cattle medicine section at the feed stores. "

Haunted55: "I agree with Eggcessive about it being some form of respiratory or sinus infection. Personally, I would reach for the Duramycin-10 and give 1/2 tbls. per gallon of water every 24 hours. Save the Tylan for something else. Tylan is a really good drug but so is tetracyciline for respiratory issues. It's my drug of choice and even though I have Tylan 50 and 200, I have never had to use them....yet. I always go for the lesser first and save the 'big guns' for something later. You can also try some Vicks vaporub. Rub a little bit right down the middle of the beak. another thing that will help if you have it is Oxine. You can spray this right onto the birds and it will be breathed in and help fight whatever it is you are dealing with. Now the questions....is there a foul odor around the beak and head? Any type of a discharge from mouth or nostrils? Any other symptoms?" " If it were me, I'd go 7 days with the Duramycin, not 5 days".

So.. other med suggestions:
Duramycin-10 - 1/2 tbls. per gallon of water every 24 hours for 7 days.
Tetracyciline - for respiratory issues.
Vicks vaporub - Rub a little bit right down the middle of the beak.
Oxine - You can spray this right onto the birds and it will be breathed in and help fight whatever it is you are dealing with.

Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 265
Interesting. The oxine is one I've heard snippets about. I need to do more research about it. I'm through day two on injections of Tylan. I'm glad I went with that, Little was not in good shape. She put herself to bed in the coop tonight, so she is doing somewhat better. The injections are not difficult at all. I just lay the chicken across my lap and cover her face with a cloth and give the injection. No flinching or even squawking. It was easy, I didn't have to hold them down. I do train all my birds (and formerly reptiles) to lay on their backs so if they need medical attention, it's easy. It pays off in situations like this. Little is by far my least tame bird, she did fine though.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 223
Brandi glad it went well. Hope they are starting to feel better. I have Oxine :)
It supposedly kills all virus' bacteria fungus etc etc and when it breaks down is basically table salt ?
I used it to fog my 2 girls that were in respitoray distress and it didn't help.

After reading the claim sheet,if it really is as strong or stronger then bleach, and safer as it leaves no harmful residue, then why aren't hospitals everywhere using this? I have seen no scientific findings on the products just the claims & success stories of byc folks who claim it helped their birds....
I'm still forming an opinion :D