addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Gardenerd
Gardenerd
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 42
I noticed that 3 of my 4 girls have developed swollen bumps (blisters) in face and comb/wattles suddenly. One girl is bleeding on her comb, most likely due to her own scratching. My husband looked it up and thinks it's fowl pox, but I just want to be sure, since 2 of the affected 3 girls were supposedly vaccinated for fowl pox. I also haven't seen any mosquitoes around at all. I have 2 questions:

1) Is this Fowl Pox?

2) Is fowl pox like Marek's in the sense that even those vaccinated can still contract it?

***Please note: I am looking for sound advice, not speculation. If you don't have experience with this, please don't post.

Thanks,

Christy
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 617
Definitely looks like dry version of avian pox. This is a good link that you probably already saw. http://www.backyardch...­

There is a discussion on the California Poultry People facebook page. Someone mentioned that they vaccinate once a year. Her reasoning was that there is no testing for long term immunity because the vaccinations are made for the commercial breeders who don't keep their chickens more than a couple of years. That makes a lot of sense. The reason that we have several repeated vaccinations for children is that lasting immunity is usually not achieved by just a single exposure. I don't think yearly vaccinations would be the trick but we'd have to have a community that would be interested in testing immunity because ideally there would be several vaccination exposures in a few months. (Sorry there was speculation but at least based on vaccination information for humans, dogs and cats)
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 595
hi Christy,
sorry you got the virus... this is a forum of chicken lovers but certainly we are no vets... so probably for sound advice i would suggest you take them to the vet?

but here is my piece,
I've gotten my fair share of experience with fowl pox... At this point I'm hoping my whole flock is immune!!!

1. from the pictures, it totally looks like fowl pox... I lost one of my dearest girl to this disease - I treated her, took her to vet... she died... decided to not treat with meds any other one... all others survived... just my experience...

2. My birds haven't gotten it twice...so they ones who contracted the disease the first time, didn't get it the second time... the first time I was living in San Dimas... the second time, more than a year apart, I was here in Norco...
for the most part, this is like chicken pox in humans, once you get it you probably won't get it again... but there are exceptions...

THere is an excellent article on fowl pox, here is the link
http://fluffybottomsfarm.blogspot.com/2012/09/fowlpox.html­

Hope this helps... anything else, you can call me direct or I'm sure others have lots of experience with this too.
ps, 909-9945701
Nagi K.
user 99579292
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 29
thank you for posting photos. I think my chickens also have fowl pox. They got the black spots about 3 days ago. They must have gotten it from mosquitos or wild birds because so far they do not have mites/lice(knock wood) and I have kept them as closed a flock as possible and change my clothes/shoes if I think I have been in contact with someone who has birds, or when I pick up feed. Thanks also for the information on fowl pox and Laura, I am sorry you lost your beloved hen :-(
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 274
Looks like fowl pox to me also. My girls had it briefly last summer. It passed and mine did not get it severely. I don't know that there is much to so for it other than let it run its course. Like Roberta said, not sure the vaccinations do much from year to year. I believe that like the human version of chicken pox, the vaccine is only moderately successful. (Speculation, I'm no vet, but my all lived through it with no medication.)

The wet pox is worse than dry pox. I did put ointment in the affected combs, which did seem to help. Apparently they can pass it around when the scabs fall off. The ointment may have prevented that, in my case.
Gardenerd
Gardenerd
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 43
Thanks, everyone, for your advice and links to other sites. I appreciate it. We'll keep an eye out for further developments and clean the food and water dishes. I'm giving them greens and BOSS to keep them happy in the meanwhile.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 354
Ditto that it looks like fowl pox. My girls have all had it at one time or another - it seems pretty benign as long as they're in good health overall. I have read that it can be much more dangerous if one of the lesions forms in their airway, so if you notice any congestion or difficulty breathing it may be time to take action. But as long as it is the dry version it seems like a kids' measles level of concern. Not much to be done about it, keep 'em in good condition overall and it will pass. Best wishes!