addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › skinny molting hen - with stuck egg?

skinny molting hen - with stuck egg?

MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 19
My poor light brahma, Red Sky, is in bad shape. She has been eating, pooping, laying just fine, just like all my other chickens, but like them, is also very very skinny. Two days ago I noticed she was standing in the corner of the coop with her feathers fluffed up and a sticky butt. I grabbed her out and put her in her own cage. I washed and trimmed her butt feathers, and other than being skinny she seemed okay. The next day she was still standing in the corner, sticky butt again, so I brought her inside and gave her a nice warm water soak and kept her inside. So now we're on day two, just had another warm soak. She eats, she poops, her poops look normal... but she has not laid in two days and I can feel a huge egg inside, the skin is stretched so tight over it that the feathers are sticking straight out.

I'm so stressed right now. All of the hens are so thin, when I got Red Sky wet I could feel all of her bones. They have food available 24/7. They don't have worms. Their poop looks fine. Other than Red Sky, none of them act particularly sick or seem distressed. But I'm distressed!!

What can I do to help Red Sky with that huge egg?
Roberta K.
user 10948851
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 619
I like this woman's blog. If Red Sky is egg bound than maybe this info is helpful if you can't take her to a vet. I keep KY jelly just for this possibility but I've never had to do this before. I hope she's going to be ok. Why chickens are so skinny is so hard to figure out!
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 596
hello Mary Ellen,
so sorry about your girl... I've been there before many times and have also lost a couple to egg bound... because it they don't pass the egg, the whole thing starts to rot inside... so, try giving her lots of massages in her belly... I have seen it work for me... just rub her belly... to try to loosen up the stuck egg... make sure you keep her very hydrated...
My last one with that issue, Sonia, I had to take her to the vet (my super last option, but I was desperate)... xrays and $240 showed not much - it was obvious she was trying to pass and egg, but I didn't know if in the process whe had gotten constipated or had crop issue also... anyway... kept massing and rubbing her belly and with syringe gave her liquid calcium and lots of water... she was in labor for more than a day on and off... thanks God, later than day she passed a partial shell (that is what had gotten stuck_) and then a soft egg...

Call me if I can be of any assistance,
909-994-5701

keep us posted,
MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 20
Well, after a $500 stay at the vet and various drugs to get her to pass an egg the size of a baseball, I had Red Sky euthanized today. Part of it was financial, but also when they took x-rays to make sure that it really was a stuck egg, they found something where her ovaries are supposed to be. They could not tell from the x-ray exactly what it was, it could have been suppressed gas back up in her system due to the stuck egg, but since she was pooping, that seemed unlikely. Due to her overall poor health and age they thought it was likely that she had ovarian cancer. But since my whole flock is afflicted with something - we know for sure they have cocci, but not if that is the primary reason for the weight loss or is secondary to something else - I want to send her off for necropsy. Does anyone have the information I need on where to send and what to do? I know UC Davis does them, is there anywhere in SoCal that does them? And what is the procedure?
MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 21
Never mind, I figured it out. It's all on their website, duh.

I'm just so sad. I do wildlife rescue/rehab too, and lots of times I get in animals that are just too sick or injured to survive, so you'd think I'd get used to animals dying, but it just never gets easier, you know? Every time I lose one I feel like I murdered it with my own hands. And every single year I swear I am quitting doing rehab because it's just too hard on my heart, and every single year I somehow end up doing it again.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 281
Mary Ellen

I'm so sorry. It never gets easier, does it.

I just had to do this also, it's so frustrating, you want to do the right thing but it's so expensive!

If you still need the Corrid, let me know and I'll make arrangements to get you some.

Hang in there and have the vet send directly to UC Davis. That's what I did. They can use the fed ex number and it costs like 15 dollars. The least they can do for you after charging $500 is sending her off for you...
MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 22
They are all on Albon for the next two weeks. Albon is really, really sticky. Molting hens + sticky medication = me walking out of the coop looking like Big Bird.