addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Hatching Black Copper Marans

Hatching Black Copper Marans

Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 276
Congrats! That's awesome. I will follow your advice and keep hoping for the best. Please post some pictures if you can.
Erin I've helped a bunch out to and they have all been fine... I think the forced air incubators cause the chicks to get stuck a lot easier and healthy strong chicks get glued in. Anybody who decides to try this just needs to go really slow.... I wish I had room for an English Orp or a CL ... I love my Marans but those 2 girls are CHATTY!!!!
MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 43
Great! Let me know - I just had to rehome my Wheaten Marans (getting picked on too much by the rest of the flock) and really miss those beautiful eggs, and English Orps, I have always coveted those. I got some hatching eggs online last year and had a friend hatch them for me, but the hatch rate was really poor - four out of twelve - and all four of them were roosters! Bad luck for me. I really really want a Splash. I have two blue birds already, a LF cochin and an Olive Egger, so I want to add a splash to my flock.
irina K.
Irina
Hacienda Heights, CA
Post #: 16
My Speckled Sussex finally hatched her chicks this morning in the neighbor's yard. They are 3/4 Speckled Sussex, 1/4 Black Copper Maran. So far, 3 black, 5 brown...3 more to go. Not my choice...trust me, but it is very cute when mama's take care of their little ones. She seems soooo proud!
Erin
user 20984691
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 18
How is your BCM hatch going?
I just hatched 4 more imported English Orpingtons (2 blue, 2 splash). In my other incubator, I'm hatching F3 (3rd generation) olive eggers. I can't wait to see what they lay!
irina K.
Irina
Hacienda Heights, CA
Post #: 19
Hi Erin, 0 hatch! I opened some of the eggs and there was no development, just raw eggs. Amazingly they didn't rot, no smell at all after 21 days in the incubator. The lining was very thick and tough to puncture. Where are you getting your BCM hatching eggs from? Or is it a secret? Just put 5 CL (Greenfire), 1 Easter Egger, and 1 Wellsummer in. Since they are my own eggs I'm sure they will hatch just fine. Congrats on your English Orpingtons, those I would love to hatch too someday...
MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 50
Erin, are you going to be selling any of your Orps? It sounds like they are show quality so I probably can't afford them but I am looking for a splash pullet.

Erin
user 20984691
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 19
So sorry about your hatch! It sounds like they were infertile if there was no development at all. I know shipping eggs are sent without a guarantee, but you might contact the seller.
My English Orpingtons came from Gilchrests Imports. I don't have any for sale now, but
I will in a few months. I got all my birds from show breeders/ importers around the country instead of hatcheries. I wasn't planning to sell chicks and hatching eggs, but hatching is so much fun! I have Cream Legbars, Blue (no copper) / Splash Marans, Blue/ Splash 100% English Orpingtons and F3+ Olive Eggers.
irina K.
Irina
Hacienda Heights, CA
Post #: 20
Erin, what's the shade of your blue/splash Maran eggs? I'm not interested in breeding but would like to get some dark chocolate colored eggs. I'm looking for a shade 7/8...also, down the road I will be interested in buying your Orps hatching eggs...