Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Buxton Chicken Feed @ Azure Standards New Product

Buxton Chicken Feed @ Azure Standards New Product

MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 59
Brandi only wants organic and the Encore food is not, so I don't think she wants it.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 396
Elaine,

Please go ahead with the feed. I've actually got more than 200 lbs of grain I can use. I mixed my own food for a while, I just switched back to commercial feed for the most part when it got to be too time consuming. Roberta hooked me up with the vitamins to make my feed even better (and easier to mix)

I also have so much grain, if you are in need, please let me know, they are all organic and I'll happily share some if you want to sprout or whatever. When you are in Altadena, you won't be too far from me...

I bought a huge bunch last time and then slowed down on the hand mixing and hand milling of my feed.
Elaine J.
ElaineJesmer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 178
Brandi only wants organic and the Encore food is not, so I don't think she wants it.
I can definitely use it. Can I have an address? If you'd prefer to email it, my email is jesmer_e@pacbell.net. And how is your weekend shaping up?
Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 650

I give my girls meat too by far their FAVORITE TREAT!

hi Amanda,
what type of meat do you give them? I give them tuna occasionally, and they do love it...

Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 303

I give my girls meat too by far their FAVORITE TREAT!

hi Amanda,
what type of meat do you give them? I give them tuna occasionally, and they do love it...

Hey Laura,

I give my girls left over fish, shrimp tails etc and I buy them beef liver from time to time ... I also give them meal worms and would like to see if I can get some BSF going this year!

The bad thing is they BEG now .... They know to shut them up I ply them with treats ... Not so stupid after all ...
MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 60
I'm at 4595 rising Hill in the Meadows. I should be around but I can just leave the bags in my front yard, at the top of the steps, for you to pick up whenever. Right now my house is distinguished by having a mailbox fastened together with packing tape out front (long story).
Elaine J.
ElaineJesmer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 179
I'm at 4595 rising Hill in the Meadows. I should be around but I can just leave the bags in my front yard, at the top of the steps, for you to pick up whenever. Right now my house is distinguished by having a mailbox fastened together with packing tape out front (long story).
Sorry, I'm totally confused. What's the "Meadows"? I'm in the middle of LA, I still have to arrange a ride, so I'm hoping to get there this weekend, but it depends where you are. I have to Google the address...
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 397
Elaine,

If you want a 35lb+ bag of my hand mixed feed, you are welcome to that also. Sometimes I grind it up for them or you can just use it as high quality scratch or ferment it. I just don't grind it until right before I use it, so it won't go bad. Whole grains keep for a while, but once they are ground, they have a shelf life. Grinding a little bit at a time doesn't take that long and means really fresh food with no preservatives.

Let me know if you want a bag while you are in the area. I have tons and I'm happy to give you some. It's around 17% protein. It's vegetarian feed that I give them meat as a supplement. There's no soy, no corn and it's organic and GMO free. I use field peas, garbanzos and alfalfa as protein along with whole spelt, barley, oats and kamut, so it will sprout also. There's oyster shell, trace minerals and Nutri-balancer in this batch for vitamins and minerals.

Any food processor or a good blender can grind it. I do use my kitchen aid for this usually.
Amanda G
user 12128708
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 304
Elaine,

It's around 17% protein. It's vegetarian feed that I give them meat as a supplement. There's no soy, no corn and it's organic and GMO free. I use field peas, garbanzos and alfalfa as protein along with whole spelt, barley, oats and kamut, so it will sprout also. There's oyster shell, trace minerals and Nutri-balancer in this batch for vitamins and minerals.

Any food processor or a good blender can grind it. I do use my kitchen aid for this usually.

Hey B,

Whats your recipe????
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 398
It's a series of ratios based on UC Davis and a few other sources that I found. It's a more commercial, lower to midrange protein, but it's the only one I could find. I'll try to find a link to it. I use different grains and calculate the formula based on protein content of each grain. Sometimes I use quinoa, which is really high in protein compared to spelt or kamut, for example. So it changes every time. It's kind of a pain, I tend to mix about 150 lbs each time I mix it, since it takes a few hours.

I do add alfalfa also, it ups the protein content and gives some greens also. I just have to mill the peas and/or the whole mix to really get it right. I like the scratch and peck enough that I decided it wasn't worth mixing anymore. Well, once I use all the grains ;)