Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Looking for feed and supplies stores

Looking for feed and supplies stores

MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 98
In case anyone didn't see my post, I am trying to set up a network of people interested in feeding spent grain to their animals. I have a brewery that will supply us with approx. 150 pounds per week, which I can pick up and bring here, but people would need to then come to my place to pick up what they need. I am not in the most central location but so far no one else has offered, and I hate to see all that wonderful food going into a landfill.
TonyC
thchen
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 52
FWIW: Blacksmith has Scratch & Peck "layer", 40 lb bag for $35. Azure is $27 + ($5 small order fee).

Ingress/Egress was extremely quick, and they had the feed in stock. Really beats taking half day off to do the azure drops.
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 542
Hey Tony,

Is the feed store called Blacksmith's? Where is it?

That's good to know. I think Cynthia mentioned that the coop in Pasadena has it also. Not sure on price. It's good to have a few back up places. Azure is kind of a pain in the neck. I have issues with those grain moths eating the food when I buy multiple bags. I don't have enough girls to go through it quickly and I try to order at least a few bags to make it worthwhile. Having a local store is a nice thing...
TonyC
thchen
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 53
brandi,
Blacksmith's Corner was mentioned previous in this thread. Their website is: http://www.blacksmith...­ and they're located in Bellflower-ish.

I couldn't find the "Coop" in Pasadena. Is that the Arroyo co-op?
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 543
Tony, yes. Sorry. Auto correct fail on Co-op. I believe it is Arroyo co-op and allegedly they have S&P. I've been looking for other organic food besides Modesto mills and scratch and peck seems best. I've yet to confirm it in person, by the way.

Thanks for the info on Blacksmith's corner, it's good to know. Amanda also mentioned that Stephen's has it in Glendale also. It's nice to have alternatives to Azure, especially since the deliveries have been so erratic lately.
Cynthia
bringer_o_treats
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 455
Thanks Brandi - it is indeed the Arroyo Food Co-op, and we have in stock Modesto Mills layer and grower. I may have said it was Scratch n Peck somewhere but I was mistaken. So anyone in the Pasadena vicinity has a new alternative that also carries people food and household goods. Membership ($30 to start)gets you access to greater variety of products - all with added benefits like organic, cruelty-free, recycled, etc. - check it out at www.arroyofoodcoop.com . Good people, good stuff.
MaryEllen S.
user 13593726
Altadena, CA
Post #: 126
The Co-Op originally said that they were going to carry Scratch N Peck as well as Modesto Milling. They were also going to carry Chaffhaye but aren't doing that either. Is Stephen's the place that is right next door to DaMoors?
Brandi G
user 48566262
Pasadena, CA
Post #: 546
Mary Ellen, yes, it's next to DaMoors. Last time I was there, about 6 weeks ago, they did not have S&P yet. It would be great if they did. They do deliver also. There is a cost involved, but it's pretty reasonable.
Sven
user 28416502
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 60
anyone know yet how much Stevenson Ranch charges for Peck & Scratch?
Jaime Morrison C.
user 113226932
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
we have found supplies locally (in LA proper) at Centinela Feed http://www.centinelaf...­