Allison Z.
user 10839075
Torrance, CA
Post #: 6
Has anyone ever had mites in there coop?
Just curious, we did in the summer and I managed to track them in the house before I knew what they were. We were getting little nibbles for days.
I sprayed around the coop with some killer ( which I really don't like to do), gave the girls a bit of frontline spray under each wing and dusted with DE.
As a precaution,what do all of you do to prevent these little buggars. I don't ever want them again and I would love for them to never be able to come back. HA!
Any suggestions, remedies, bombs, potions and/or spells are all welcome!
Lu
user 10816227
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
Try some food grade diatomaceous earth in the coop (a good dusting on the ground so the birds will roll around in it during their dust baths). It will keep them at bay and is not toxic like those sprays...
A former member
Post #: 12
I know that some don't like to use pesticides, but I've heard on a chicken forum (and I myself use this in the coop) that to use Sevin dust. It's a very fine powder and I sprinkle a line of dust along the edges of the coop, at each corner, and at the top and bottom of each roost. Mites come out at night and are very small... hard to see.
susan
user 10791150
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone know where we can purchase food grade de locally?
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 47
I know at Pohina in San Pedro has some. It's a large warehouse kind of pet store but I did see it in the bird section. They also have an online store or you can pick it up.

Creative Pet (Pohina)
305 North Harbor Blvd
San Pedro, CA 90731
800 227-0001

http://www.creativepe...­

You can also call another groom/store in Torrance. They offer holistic products, but I don't know if they offer DE.

A Paw-Fect World
23916 Crenshaw Boulevard, Torrance, CA 90505-5211
(310) 326-8881‎

Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 48
So far I've been lucky...but I want to give my girls a DE massage very soon. I am a bit concerned about this muggy weather we've been having....will those suckers come out more in humid conditions or dry?
Gardenerd
Gardenerd
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
Food grade DE is also used in gardening for pest control, so you might find some at local nurseries. If not, you can always order (I know, it's not local) from Peaceful Valley Farms: http://www.groworgani...­

BTW - they are now carrying a stock of organic chicken feed and other homesteading supplies. Gotta love Peaceful Valley Farms.

Christy
susan
user 10791150
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid the huge shipping charge from Peaceful Valley Farms, hoping to find a local source. btw I think my I'm about to get my first egg today! How exciting! :)
Marge P.
MargeP
Los Angeles, CA
I've been buying DE at Boone's Feed in Compton--they sell it by the pound, so you can buy just a small amount if that's all you need.

Boone's Feed
432 E. El Segundo Blvd
Compton
310-631-7366
Deborah D.
user 12364655
Glendale, CA
Post #: 3
Stephens Feed on Riverside Dr. nr Griffith Park sells DE for use around animals. It's in their chicken area, not their horse part of the store.