Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › They're finally here!!

They're finally here!!

Ron F.
user 11466035
Whittier, CA
Post #: 2
So, friday after work, we decided to take a trip to lompoc,ca., to finally get my little chickies........why so far you ask??(three hour drive) Well, I couldn't find any austrlorp chicks anywhere around L.A. county, and the hatcheries sell them, with a minimum of 25 chicks, plus shipping is always questionable to me, so why not take a drive to get the breed of chicken I want? I didn't want to settle for anything else, other then the austrlorps. I ended up picking up 4 little ones, about a month old, for 6 bucks a piece... it was a mission to drive there and back, a quick turn around( yeah, right!) we didn't get home til 3am, but once again, I feel it's well worth it for my future egg production. My chicks are happy, I'm happy, and I hope to give everyone updates on my first little flock as they grow- I posted some pictures up, they are in a big glass aquarium, in my room, at least till this weekend, oh, yeah, my chicken coop should be arriving wednesday- HOORAY!!
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 7
Congrats Ron!! I don't think driving up to Lompoc is a far stretch if you're getting your dream chickens! I think it's great! Great that they are So Cal chicks and well worth the drive!! You're lucky, I wish I could have 4 chickens, but right now my two pullets are enough for me to tend since I am still renovating my house!

Enjoy and take many photos, they grow awful fast! Handle them often and daily...they make great pets and have such personalities!

Add: Also if you have time, record their voices....my Jersey Giant pullet, Parsley, now sounds like a duck!

~Vickie
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Ron! So glad you got your wonderful chickens. What are you going to name them? I'm totally new to this. I was wondering if you could tell me where you are getting your chicken coop from ? I would like to start with about the same number that you have. Thanks so much, and Good Luck!! Nancy
Ron F.
user 11466035
Whittier, CA
Post #: 6
Not sure of the names as of yet, just checking their personalities.....I actually found this guy name bill,he's a contractor, on craigslist, he has pictures of the coop I'm getting, (today!!hooray!!), for $ 235 plus $15, for delivery. He builds them himself, and he's outta Santa Ana- his number is 714-724-9003- my coop is coming today, I'll take pictures, and make any comments on it, and let you know alittle more, but for the price and availability, and no time to make my own, I felt this is the better deal-
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 10
Great day when the coop arrives or is finished! I saw that same ad on Craigslist and was going to get one until I landed a large custom rabbit hutch. I am now modifying it (adding hardware cloth) so I won't be so afraid of raccoons getting my girls.
Please do post photos and your opinion of the coop...if it's good, maybe we can spread the word around!