addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Organic Soy Free feed?

Organic Soy Free feed?

Laura B.
LauraBonilla
Group Organizer
Norco, CA
Post #: 178
Thanks Marty for the links ... I have been thinking of trying to mix/sprout for the girls. Laura what brand of feed do you use? I am trying other brands because I really want to find something local (as in Southern Cal) and something that ALL of them will eat! My girls HATE pellets too....kind of wish I would've started them on it from the beginning. I hate sweeping the waste up every night.

Have you tried min pellets? There are a few millers who make them, unfortunately they are out of state.

First, Marty, thanks SOOO much for finding out in this forum who had talked about making their own mix! That was then Carrie (remember now clearly) and Victoria... so, hopefully they will see this thread now and help us by giving us their 'recipe'? it would be awesome to see what they are doing as far as quantities of each grain they are choosing...

Vickie, I agree with you. I wished I had started them on that from the beginning! know, unless they're starving, they would not touch pellets...

I poured all my lay mash into big plastic containers so at the moment, so I don't have the label info anymore. It's a place in Riverside, CA and I know it is carried by many feed stores. In a few days I will be getting more and will tell you the brand. It's not organic - even though that would be my preference - but it's what everyone loves... and unexpensive - I have that particular lay mash available to them at all times, as well as scratch (my boys prefer scratch over the lay mash, but most girls prefer the lay mash)

Again, hope to hear from Carrie and/or Victoria on ratios and grains they use... I want to come up with something easy... nothing that needs to be blended --- probably I will continue the lay mash I'm using, but would like to retire the scratch I'm using and replace it with my own mix...

Sprouting sounds awesome but too complicated... having 37 children in 7 separate coops and run areas, I need to go with simplicity... is sprouting as complicated as it sounds??? how much space do you need to have enough for so many chickens? any ideas? curious :)

A former member
Post #: 182
Hi Vickie -

I only spent a few minutes this morning searching for recipes, so I hope others correct me if wrong on these observations: People try different mixes depending on
- (a) region, (b) weather, (c) age, (d) free range / type of feed you already have free (for example, grass, scraps) and of course
- (a) local availability, (b) health concerns (for example, gluten), (c) price and (d) personal preferences (animal products, corn, soy, sugar, salt, etc).

It is not complicated. Just a few basic steps:
1) Have a list of minimum requirements, in %. It can based on people's posts and feed manufacturers' websites. Allison^ has from two manufacturers. In my case, it is from Red Barn called Kelley's Feed All-Purpose Layer Mash, listing under "Guaranteed Analysis" crude protein >16%, crude fat >3.3%, crude fiber <4.5%, ash <18%, calcium 3.61-4.41%, phosphorus >0.70%, and sodium <0.22%. I will be checking other sites as well. Want to have a good list.
2) Have a list of ingredients and understand what each does. In my case the bag has a long lists of ingredients, but I will be using other people's online recipes because they are probably easier for consumers to find.
1+2) Match the ingredient(s) with need. Having a good mix for each requirement is probably better, for example a few sources for the protein category to reach over 16% of feed content.

Once you have the minimum requirement, you can add other healthy ingredients such as vitamins and minerals. The list can be found on different feed bags--also available on manufacturers' website or by contacting them--or you may just like certain ingredients.

From what I have read people spend years perfecting a recipe and I hope to find one I can use and if not improvise.

Will have to get back to it later, maybe have a thread just to cover all the recipes. For now I am trying to keep min req + recipes on a spreadsheet and see how far it goes.
A former member
Post #: 183
Two that I like, some other sites that may be useful. This is copy/paste from a spreadsheet, and it is just scratching the surface.

1) From http://tlc.howstuffwo...­
Parts, Item
2 whole corn
3 soft white wheat
3 hard red winter wheat
1/2 Diatomaceous Earth (not the kind you put in your pool)
1 ulled barley
1 oat groats
2 sunflower seeds
1/2 peanuts
1 wheat bran
1 split peas
1 lentils
1 quinoa
1 sesame seeds
1/2 kelp
= 18.5 Parts

Parts, Item
2 whole corn (in winter this is increased to 3 or 4 parts)
3 soft white wheat
3 hard red winter wheat
1 hulled barley
1 oat groats
1 sunflower seeds (in winter this is increased to 2 parts)
1 millet
1 kamut
1 amaranth seeds
1 split peas
1 lentils
1 quinoa
1 sesame seeds
1/2 flax seeds
1/2 kelp granules
n/a free choice of granite grit
n/a free choice of oyster shell
= 19 parts

List of mfr, good source of for min req/ingredients: http://organicchicken...­
Recipe but incl fish m: http://backyardpoultr...­
TRASH contains animal prod but post for others they may not mind: http://www.birdfarm.b...­
A former member
Post #: 22
I buzz the pellets in a food processor. Works great!
Ann
Prayerwheel
Sunland, CA
Post #: 102
Ey ey ey, the options are dizzying!
I will be doing my own mix (starting now with sprouting wheat & oats & sunflower seeds) but will also keep a high quality, organic mix on hand for back up and to have full time in their feeder.
That Countryside Organics mix looks great to me in that it incorporates fish meal among many other good ingredients. They do not have a dealer this far west but I inquired about shipping costs and was wondering if anyone would be interested in going in on a pallet (40 bags). It basically comes out to $6.75 over the listed price, this is for mixed feeds only, no fertilizers or straight grains, which still makes it comparable to what I pay for Modesto Mills organic.
If anyone has horses, they have some nice mixes that would qualify for the same pricing as well.
It is not the best environmentally sound option I know, but i wanted to cast the net and see if anyone was interested. It would really need to be a co-op situation as I can't store a large amount of feed and, with only 7 birds, my demand for large amounts of feed is greatly reduced (although I do have horses and would love to get them some organic feed as well!)
Maybe I should start another thread dedicated to this?
Lemmme know what you all think!
Cheers!
Ann