Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Anyone interested in Sharing a Ameraucana shipment from a reputable breeder?

Anyone interested in Sharing a Ameraucana shipment from a reputable breeder?

Kimberly D.
user 12010605
La Crescenta, CA
Post #: 1
They are listed on the Ameraucana.org breeder site and are active there. The minimum is 10 chicks and I only need 3 of them so I will have seven more. They are not cheap at almost $10 per chick which includes the shipping to my location. They are described as follows:

These are potential show quality, straight run (unsexed), day old, large fowl Ameraucana chicks in black, blue and splash (our choice - I want blues).

Any takers?

Kimberly
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm interested, though I prefer hatching eggs instead. What breeder are you considering? I think John Blehm's chicks are out until 2011. There's a person called "peachick" on backyardchickens.com and she has the bluest eggs I've ever seen. If you don't get enough takers and you're still interested in Ameraucana, let me know and I can let you know what my hatch is like. I'm in the San Fernando Valley.
A former member
Post #: 5
I didn't hear back from Kimberly but am thinking about ordering a batch of Ameraucanas from an Amercaucana Breeder Club breeder. I've got BCMs hatching on Wednesday and decided to go for Ameraucana chicks instead of hatching eggs so I don't prolong the time I have chicks in my living room. He charges $4 per chick and shipping is $38.70. There's a minimum of 20 chicks. They're straight run. I'm waiting to find out his colors, but suspect he has black, blue, blue wheaten and possibly splash. If anyone is interested in splitting an order, please let me know as soon as possible.
Kimberly D.
user 12010605
La Crescenta, CA
Post #: 2
So sorry YM, checked back for a reply for a few days and hadn't received a response. Then I had some out of town guests and didn't go online! Sorry that I missed your reply. I was going to order from the ABC breeder that had a 10 chick minimum, and I couldnt find someone to split with. I did order a few hatching eggs, but that isin't going well. I actually got several more from Jean Ribbeck and will try them when I get them. Shipped eggs are iffy sometimes. You are welcome to a few if you like, either chicks when (read if) they hatch or even some of the eggs. I should get them next week. I also have 5 SLW chicks on the way and only need two. They are sexed so if you or anyone else is interested I will have three sometime around June 21.
A former member
Post #: 6
No problem. I ended up hearing back from "peachick," Kathleen and Jean Ribbeck but opted to go with Kathleen's eggs since I could get silkies, exchequer leghorns, blue marans AND ameraucanas eggs at the same time! Hatch day will be next week. So far so good. I will likely have many extra Ameracaunas too...The majority of them are still developing and I think she sent 14. I'll post when I know how many are females! The Ameraucana eggs really are a beautiful blue without any green tint.
Kimberly D.
user 12010605
La Crescenta, CA
Post #: 3
How fun! I am looking for a splash or blue girl, so if you get any I may be interested depending on how well I do with this hatch. Sounds like you are having great success! Good luck with the rest of them!
Soren L.
user 12248497
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 3
I might be interested in a true Ameraucana pullet, if you end up with an extra.
Kimberly D.
user 12010605
La Crescenta, CA
Post #: 7
Cant speak for YM, but if my next hatch goes well you are welcome to some of mine. They are BBS True Ameraucana, but just like YM, I wont know for sure which are pullets (if any) for a little while. Lets cross our fingers!
Soren L.
user 12248497
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
I know that Ameraucana are hard to sex until at least 6 weeks. Of the two "Ameraucana" (i.e. Easter Egger) chicks I bought (from a woman who hatched eggs from a hatchery), one is almost certainly a cockerel. He's still keeping his sister company, since he hasn't crowed yet. But one rooster to re-home is enough. I'm not in any rush to get chicks to young to sex.
Kimberly D.
user 12010605
La Crescenta, CA
Post #: 9
Yes. Exactly why I suggested that it would be awhile. It's a good idea to have a plan for cockrels ahead of time even if you do get sexed chicks, as sometimes even the pros cam be wrong. That being said, there are no hatcheries currently selling true Ameraucans per the ABC. I think My Pet Chicken does sell hatching eggs, but they are also from a breeder.