addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › Laying Hens for sale in Long Beach

Laying Hens for sale in Long Beach

Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 11
Updated: Sold.
Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 12
Sale Pending.
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 32
Oh Leanne, I was sad to see that you have to sell Joey...she is such a sweetie and a wonderful surprise from Trader Joes! I know you will find them a good home!! Good Luck on your son's 4H venture, will it be another Trader Joe hatch??
Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 13
Oh Leanne, I was sad to see that you have to sell Joey...she is such a sweetie and a wonderful surprise from Trader Joes! I know you will find them a good home!! Good Luck on your son's 4H venture, will it be another Trader Joe hatch??

Thanks for the well wishes for my son. The kids are a little sad to see Joey go as well, but they really loved raising chicks last time and they are very excited about that part. My son has been talking about 4 H and more poultry projects off and on this year. However, we just don't have room for two flocks of two different ages and sizes, and more than 4 large fowl hens in our coop is too much.

I will make sure Joey ends up in a family with kids so she will still get some of the attention she is used to. We are not quite ready to let them go, but I wanted lots of time to be able to find a nice family for them to go to. I was hoping to find a place for them by August. The family that currently has expressed interest in them, and I am holding on to them for, is still in the process of getting a coop.

If we do another Trader Joe's fertile egg hatch, it will be in a different year. My son would not be able to show "Trader Joe's pullet" in a breed category if he decides to try to show chickens later on down the road. The breed that 4 H recommends for kids starting out is Bantam Cochins. The description of their temperament sounds kind of like Joey's, so we are hopeful to get at least one friendly gentle chicken again. We ordered some (Bantam Cochins - straight run: black, buff, and partridge) from Ideal hatchery to arrive right around 22 to 23 days after Cruella went Broody. Hopefully she will accept them, if not, back they go to the brooder in the house, and Cruella goes to a new home with the other two.

I will update this if anything changes in our plans.
Leanne
user 11879008
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 15
I was really sad to see the hens go today, and I had a hard time keeping it together and not crying. I know I shouldn't get attached to chickens as pets, but with Joey, our Trader Joe's chicken, it was hard not too.
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 51
Leanne, I know what you mean, but you hatched beautiful little Joey and started a fire at BYC with that project! You did the right thing and waited to find the next best home to yours for her and her coop-mate. Nothing wrong with shedding tears for chickens - they are members of your family - and I am sure they are missing you and your family right now too.