align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Los Angeles Urban Chicken Enthusiasts Message Board › HOORAY!!! FIRST EGGS YESTERDAY!!??

HOORAY!!! FIRST EGGS YESTERDAY!!??

Ron F.
user 11466035
Whittier, CA
Post #: 14
So, we got our australorps, in march, I expected them to lay, sometime in august/sept. Low and behold, yesterday, we found 1 egg, mid noon, and a few hours later, we found another......what a surprise!! Anyways, my question, now is................refrigerate or keep them at room temperature? I have pictures, I'll put them on my profile, at a later time.......
Vickie
Spinster_Sister
Hawthorne, CA
Post #: 54
That is a big controversy. As long as you have not washed them then the natural bloom should still be intact and it is safe for the eggs sit on the counter. If the eggs have been washed (like grocery store eggs) then refrigeration is mandated. I have read that unwashed eggs can be kept outside the frig for months because the bloom is a natural barrier to bacteria. If you think about it, it makes sense because they spent quite a few days under a hen waiting for them to hatch!

I keep them out for a few days then inside the fridge they go.

CONGRATULATIONS on your first eggs! It is very exciting and just wait you are going to have fresh eggs almost everyday! Such a marvelous gift from our pets!
david
user 4148344
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
So, we got our australorps, in march, I expected them to lay, sometime in august/sept. Low and behold, yesterday, we found 1 egg, mid noon, and a few hours later, we found another......what a surprise!! Anyways, my question, now is................refrigerate or keep them at room temperature? I have pictures, I'll put them on my profile, at a later time.......

Wash with warm water only...spritz with hydrogen peroxide...dry...and refridgerate
Lora
user 9048845
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 16
Yes, no need to wash or refrigerate unless you want to hard boil your eggs. Fresh eggs won't peel if you hard boil them. So if you want to make deviled eggs or egg salad, stick them in the fridge for two weeks.

Fresh unwashed eggs can sit on the counter for up to a month or more. If you doubt an eggs "goodness" you can put it in water- an egg that is too old will float. But mine never last that long.