addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Los Angeles Developers User Group Message Board › Richard Grossman to speak at LAFOX Tuesday, June 21st 2011

Richard Grossman to speak at LAFOX Tuesday, June 21st 2011

Richard G.
rgrossman
Group Organizer
Santa Monica, CA
Post #: 1
Hey LADUG members: I'll be speaking at LAFOX on Tuesday, June 21st. If you like my war stories, I'll be relating my early experiences with dBase and FoxPro from the 80's.

The full info for the meeting is here:

http://lafox.org/home.page.fox­

Main Topic
Fox History: The Early Years Richard Grossman

Tom Rettig gave Richard Grossman his first big break in the xBase world, PC Week (later eWeek) later quoted Richard on the front page saying dBase was dead, David Fulton spent an entire day showing him FoxPro 1 - the first person outside the company to see it. Grossman wrote the Pro-Demo sample app that shipped on disk with FoxPro 1, and worked for Ashton-Tate, Fox Software, Borland, and Microsoft on their xBase products back in the day. That’s all public info - but did you know that Roger Clinton (Prez Clinton’s brother) lived next door to Tom Rettig, that Pro-Demo was originally written for a Borland product called xBase that was never released, that the Fox Software developers didn’t attend the first Fox conference because they were still finishing FoxPro in time to give it out at the last day of the conference? Hear these and other inside stories from the early days of FoxPro. If you’ve got some, bring yours too!