Louisville PHP User Group Message Board › Ideas for 2013

Ideas for 2013

A former member
Post #: 7
This is a catch-all discussion for items coming up in 2013. I'd like to brainstom

• Member Resources and Benefits
  • Topics for the year
  • Possible Projects
  • How you can help

If the discussion gets too long, we can split those up into various topics, for now, we can just talk here.

Member Resources and Benefits
Right now, we have a shared Amazon server with PHP5.4 and access to the iHub for meetings. In the past, we've had snacks, Twilio credits and other swag. What would you like to see?

Topics for the year
Speakers and coding projects. Bring in big names? Keep it local? Talk about low level internals, new technology, speed, scaling, need for speed? Rapid prototyping, Ajax and Javascript, mobile, social, cloud? Lecture or hands on? Plugins and components? (How to write plugins for WordPress/ Joomla! - there's a big market out there) Monetizing your skills (freelance, SaaS, products, plugins ...) What tickles your fancy?

Possible Projects
The LouPUG website: could build this in a framework, CMS or from "scratch". I'd love to see a free UserVoice clone open source project in PHP (unless there's one out there); we could build our own XXXX; or our own modules (A cacheing wrapper for instance, or expand on the Twilio system); We could adopt and contribute to one or more opensource projects. Again, what strikes you as interesting?

How can you help

#1, be involved by just being here. Seriously. Louisville dev community is small, and it's PHP community is small-er. Just by reading this you've shown your support. Thank you. Whatever else you can do (attending meetings, bringing friends and co-workers, etc) is great. Again, thanks.

Also ... need help with the social media sites ... Google, Twitter, Facebook, Wordpress, etc.

Now your turn. What's on your mind?

Scott H.
user 7972522
Pewee Valley, KY
Post #: 1
Would love to do hands on stuff. I think that would help me the most with my growth.
Steve M.
user 7274016
Louisville, KY
Post #: 2
Some topic ideas:

1) Design and coding for performance
2) Using PHP and jQuery UI together
3) Image processing techniques
4) Pros/cons of various PHP IDEs (showing off the best features of all of them)
5) What's exciting/useful in PHP 5.4 compared to previous releases (show off a site using something new/changed in 5.4)
6) Caching techniques (including situations when one should cache).

That's off the top of my head.