addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Louisville Permaculture Guild Message Board › Seedling update

Seedling update

ray
user 4058586
Group Organizer
Louisville, KY
Post #: 16
At our last meeting, there was a demo of dense tomato seeding. Here is a photo of the beginning of my potting up, about 250 pepper plants. I will be doing another 100 peppers, about 500 tomatoes and 100 eggplants. 95% of the varieties I choose are open pollinated.

A former member
Post #: 4
no grow lights? Looks like they would get long and stringy. I wasn't there.
ray
user 4058586
Group Organizer
Louisville, KY
Post #: 17
Linda: They were under lights until this point (while they were in the dense trays). This is a south facing window and I am planning on rotating these trays front to back. You're absolutely right about the absence of light causing legginess. I will be putting them in a greenhouse when it warms up a little. Here is a video of the process.
A former member
Post #: 5
If you plant in the ground in the greenhouse you can do it even sooner and put cover directly on them at night with if it gets too cold. Did that meeting about using logs ever come about?
A former member
Post #: 1
I did a piece on going from low light to high light in the spring about hosta that applies to veggies as well here;

http://www.bloomingto...­

The bottom line is; you should lose the growth under lights inside or even grown near a window that gets a lot of light. They will be replaced by new growth that will have the proper cells to survive sunlight.
A former member
Post #: 2
PS here is the main page where you will find other subjects about the soil and watering, etc that applies to veggies,

http://www.bloomingto...­
ray
user 4058586
Group Organizer
Louisville, KY
Post #: 18
"Did that meeting about using logs ever come about?"

Linda: If you are referring to the Hugelkultur meetup, it hasn't happened yet. Glenn is still trying to get some commitments before setting a date. Check on the right of the homepage for Glenn's post.

Ray
Gina S.
user 33363192
Louisville, KY
Wow, they really look great, Ray! I also tried out the technique and have wonderful success. I need to repot this week. ~Gina
Micki W.
user 12152040
Louisville, KY
Beautiful and bountiful! You really liked that no-fuss "dump a bunch of seeds in at once, separate later" approach. I think I will put the seedling you gave me that night in ground in a mini greenhouse tomorrow, just to say I got a tomato plant in before Easter- a first with the ground so warm. I've already tilted it over to root some more sideways and buy some time. Then I can transplant later unprotected. Thanks!