Please Note: this meetup is actually on TUESDAY
tonight's Masterpiece is Caravaggio's Supper at Emmaus 1601
Before he died at the age of 36, this master singlehandedly invented a style which suited the purposes of the Catholic Church in the 17th century. This style came to be known at the Baroque.
We will see what revolutionary changes he made to the art of the Renaissance to create an art of breathtaking realism and incredible drama. His violent nature and homosexuality contributed to an uncompromising style which ultimately had the Church rejecting the paintings it commissioned.
Never before has a scene from the scriptures been made quite so real, dramatic and ultimately shocking.
a glass of wine included in the price
to get to the Chocolate Factory N16 by public transport follow these instructions:
• from Highbury and Islington ( on Victoria line, 1 stop from Kings Cross)
take the Overground from platform 8 ( first on your right as you come up
from the tube) in direction of Stratford - 2 stops to Dalston Kingsland.
• turn left from the station and continue walking along the High Street for about
• when you see a blue mosaic mosque with silver domes ahead of you on the
left, look out for Farleigh Rd which is across the road and just before the
mosque ( ie to your right).
• cross the High St into Farleigh Rd
• about 3 houses down on the left turn into a cul de sac ( not visible from top of
road) which is Farleigh Place.
• at the bottom of the cul de sac are the grey gates of the Chocolate Factory
• go up the metal staircase in center of the courtyard and to the back of the building on your right where my studio is F9
gates will shut at 7.30 pm