Michael Downey Photography Message Board › Cataract Surgery and Photography

Cataract Surgery and Photography

Salvatore D.
user 19703641
Lyndhurst, NJ
Post #: 1
Hi All,
I am scheduled for cataract surgery in both eyes next month. I have worn glasses for 57 years and am being told by the doctor I will be able to discard my classes because the implanted replacement lenses will bring my sight back to 20-20. He added I may need a slight reading lens.
I have been photographing forever. I am wondering if others out there have experienced cataract surgery and what effect did it have on your ability to shoot a DSLR my camera of choice. I thank you in advance for anything you share.

Sal
Marian R.
user 5209324
Montclair, NJ
Post #: 4
Hi Sal,
I had cataract surgery about 10 years ago and I think my vision is the best it's ever been.(I've worn eyeglasses since childhood). I have lens implants and my vision was corrected for monovision (one eye for distance and one for near). I find this works admirably in most circumstances. I found it lacking for night driving, tennis and theater so I have distance eyeglasses for those situations. I read without glasses and rarely wear them indoors. My distance glasses are also transitions so they are my sunglasses as well! What an amazing boon! I am enjoying awesome vision and "great" photography. I too have been shooting forever! Hope this will relieve some of your concerns! smile
Salvatore D.
user 19703641
Lyndhurst, NJ
Post #: 2
Thank you so much Marian. I appreciate your sharing and yes it was a big help relieving my concerns...I remember hen I was young cataract surgery meant having very thick glasses with very limited vision.
Salvatore D.
user 19703641
Lyndhurst, NJ
Post #: 3
Hi All,
I completed the surgery and it went better than I hoped never mind expected. I am seeing much clearer than have seen in years with glasses. The night is brighter and days clearer and I am only four days post op on the second eye. I expect better sight as the swelling goes down in my left eye as I had with the right eye.
Marian R.
user 5209324
Montclair, NJ
Post #: 5
Yay, Sal!! So glad it all worked out for you! Now go crank out some amazing images! wink
Salvatore D.
user 19703641
Lyndhurst, NJ
Post #: 4
Thanks again Marian.