MADspace Message Board › building the hackerspace with our knowledge

building the hackerspace with our knowledge

Koen A.
user 8942603
Eindhoven, NL
Hi dear members of MADspace,

Thanks for the great ICT cafe last Wednesday on hackerspace design patterns! There were about 15 engineers very happy thinking together on how to build up our hackerspace in Eindhoven in 2013 ;-)

Sven from hackerspace C4 put his cool presentation here:¬†http://zakx.de/madspace-2013-02-27.pdf­

Afterwards we had an inspiring talk on how to organize a much bigger space in Eindhoven: there were many great ideas, so we really have to unite our good powers together!

Sounds like this is a good main plan: get some financing, some cheap location and realize a cool hacking space.

Important:

1. An easiest place to start our online organization:¬†http://www.asceindhoven.nl/hackerspace­

2. Simple questionaire. To construct an overview of our community we have a simple questionaire for you. You would really help us by filling in this questionaire. With your short hopefully helping answers (and about one hundred related engineers in our netwerk) we can really build a good hackerspace. We need funding for a good  innovation location in 2013 for us all and together we know how ;-)

3. Want to discuss online? Use this mailing list ;-)

Thanks for helping and thinking with us! Have a nice weekend, ;-)

Kind regards,

Koen Aben
www.asceindhoven.nl
Bart B.
user 27087352
Eindhoven, NL
Post #: 1
I wanted to attend that meeting but something came up at the last moment.

I applaud and am excited about this initiative.

I have read the presentation and it largely mirrors my view on how a hackerspace could be set up. I do have a few questions regarding setup.

It has been a bit fuzzy on where in the organisation MADspace precisely sits. Are we a "subpart" of MADlabs? Are we willing to remain a part or be connected to MADspace or do we want full independence? Is there any dependency at all with MADlabs?

If we can create a good "core" group of members to really kick this off to create a stable base for a hackerspace. And as soon the engineering community of Eindhoven finds this out, we will get a large influx of people wanting to participate or use the space.

Unfortunatly I was not there the last meeting but if any help is needed be it organisation, financial or equipment wise, just ask. I can provide all three.

Greetings Bart
Tom
user 41426142
Eindhoven, NL
It all started with MADlab willing to facilitate a hackerspace. MAD does projects that combine art and technology, which has some overlap with what happens within a typical hackerspace. Therefore, MAD and a hackerspace can certainly benefit from each other. MADspace is currently not a separate legal entity and doesn't have its own money/budget and we can use the facilities (room, power, internet, drinks, ...) offered by MADlab. So MADspace is pretty much a part of MAD at this moment.

However, during last meeting, most people there agreed that it would be a step forward if MADspace would have a room of its own (at least storage space and preferably also a hardware lab kind of thing). An important aspect is that if we have a room of our own, people will start bringing their projects and equipment. And most people seemed willing to pay a monthly fee for this. In order to hangle money (and rent obligations), making MADspace a separate legal entity seems a logical next step. So the direction for MADspace now is to become (somewhat) more independent. We're investigating possibilities for getting some space of our own. This certainly doesn't mean we want to stop the cooperation with MAD(lab). Getting an extra room in the same building as MADlab is therfore an interesting option to pursue.

Regards,

Tom.
Bart B.
user 27087352
Eindhoven, NL
Post #: 2
Thats clear, its good to hear that we are becoming independent but still connected to MAD(lab). Indeed we do have some overlap with MAD(lab) so remaining at the same location but a different room seems like a good option, the location itself is roomy and provides enough growth space. We just need to look at budget and costs.

Whats on the agenda for coming wednesday? Are there any plans for discussions on how to kick things off with respect to creating a "stichting" or space? Maybe at least set a date for a meeting when we will start? I am really excited that we are going through with this and want to help where possible.

With kind regards,

Bart
A former member
Hi fellow hackers,
I found a page with the finances of a very nice hackerspace in San Francisco:
https://noisebridge.n...­

It's interesting to see that the main cost is rent. In the place there are many tools, but apparently they do not show up in the budget. It might be best to find tools from sponsorings, but for the space it is best to be independent...
See you vanavond!
Theo
Koen A.
user 8942603
Eindhoven, NL
Bart, good to see you back! ;-) Tonight me and Peer will also work on our Open Day 30 March which will be great fun! ;-) We also have options to collaborate with social/technological organizations in Eindhoven.