align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Mathematics Academy Math Club - New York City Message Board › Math Topics to Explore

Math Topics to Explore

David
DAVIDKAYA
Group Organizer
Brooklyn, NY
Hi Everyone,

I would like to find out what each of you is interested in exploring in the upcoming meetups. Please post your answers on the message board.

David
A former member
Post #: 2
Hello David,

First, thanks to the team for yesterday's meeting.

Topics I would be interested in:

- Numerical methods for solving equations: which method for what problem (analysis on different numerical methods for solving non-linear equations, quirks and strenghts, multiple solutions problem, ...);

- Introduction to queue theory (what's a queue, type of queues, classification/classifiers ...);

- Introduction to group theory (ok, could be preceded by "a remainder in Algebra");

If some are interested, intertwined with the courses, we could also take some real life problems and work to develop them into either models or find what are the basic math ideas/concepts that are potentially helpful.

Jean
David
DAVIDKAYA
Group Organizer
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 3
Thank you Jean, for your input. Anyone else have anything they want to explore?
A former member
Post #: 51
I'm interested in seeing real-world examples of (advanced) mathematical objects/concepts. You know, make the abstract more concrete:

What does a closed contour look life in real life? What does it look like when I reduce that contour to a point?

How would I recognize a homomorphism if I saw one on the street? A group? A ring?

How can I use Benford's Law <http://en.wikipedia.o...­ or Pareto's Principle <http://en.wikipedia.o...­ in everyday life?
A former member
Post #: 37
Hi David,

I would like to learn the fundamentals of Calculus and later how to apply it to the real world. It has been a long time since I studied it but want to get into it again.

I am also interested in Chaos Theory, Vector definitions, Functions, Complexity, Mazes, Fractals, Knots, and Conway's Game of Life.

Thanks a lot,
Tam