Welcome to the MAC! This group was formed in the summer of 2007 in an attempt to find other young adults who know that enjoying the outdoors can mean more than just a barbecue (though those are good too!), that parks are actually open year round, and who want to do some "real deal" camping, hiking and more. From the humble beginnings of one woman with a wish to find some outdoorsy friends in her own age group we have now grown into a multi-age 2000+ member group with several organizers and an incredible range of events.
Some of the changes along the way have included adding organizers to fill the calendar and introduce us to a myriad of new activities, changing the group's name from the unwieldy and limiting "Michigan Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Meetup Group for 20 & 30 year olds" to the much simpler and inclusive "Michigan Adventurers Club" due to the fact that we welcome people of all ages. We changed lead organizers when our founder got a cool outdoorsy job that was unfortunately a bit too far away to continue as our lead organizer. We continue to look for new adventures and new members in Michigan and beyond!
By Joining this group, you understand the adventurous nature of the group and take personal responsability for anything that may happen to you. You hold all the organizers harmless for any injuries or losses that may occur.
A few FAQ's:
1. Q. I'm not in my 20s and 30s. Can I still join? A. Of course! While many of our members were in this age range when the club first started, our group is very large and diverse and we welcome a range of experience. All we ask is that you have a youthful spirit and outlook.
2. Q. I've never hiked before. Can I still join? A. Again, of course! Though it would help if you at least like being outdoors, we have a variety of events, not all of which include hiking. Read the descriptions for each event and choose the ones where you would feel comfortable. For many of our local hikes, a pair of sturdy shoes and a water bottle are all you really need. As you become more comfortable, you can work up to hikes requiring more gear and experience.
3. Q. What's the $5 for? A. Most single day events are open to all MAC members. We ask members who wish to go on our overnight events to pay $5 dues. The renewal date is then listed next to the member's name. These dues are used to pay the monthly meetup website fee, cover deposits for trip reservations, and cover other incidentals like signs so folks can find our group.
4. Q. May I bring my friend? A. For most events, you are welcome to bring a friend. Simply note them as a +1 on your rsvp. For some events requiring payment or for overnight events it may be better for your friend to simply become a member. If you are unsure, send an e-mail message to the organizer of the event.
5. Q. May I bring my dog? A. Well, it depends on the event. Many of the places we visit are designated nature areas and do not allow dogs, but some areas are very dog friendly. Please check ahead of time with the event organizer and the venue. If dogs are allowed, they must be on a leash at all times and be people friendly.