The More Details Part:
I would bring a day pack along with your backpack. All the normal pack gear as some of our hikes will be after we have set up camp for the day and you may want to bring snacks, towel, camera, your water bottle & filter, map, bug spray etc.
Weather: The weather can be anywhere from 80 degrees during the day to 40 degrees at night. Pack accordingly.
WATER: There is NO fresh water source once we are in the back country of Picture Rock. You MUST have a water filter with you or have permission to borrow someone's, no exceptions! All the campgrounds with car camping will have water.
COMPASS & MAPS: Maps are located below, make sure to print and have your own copy along with a compass. http://www.nps.gov/piro/planyourvisit/upload/BackcountryMap.pdf
DO NOT LEAVE A CAMPSITE FOR A HIKE WITHOUT THE ABOVE ITEMS.
GROUP: We are hiking as a group. Please do not leave the group without letting everyone know where you are going. There are lots of cliffs, this is bear country and it's for your own safety. None of the planned hikes are that long but they will be strenuous in places.
FOOD: The only planned meal is Wednesday (lunch in Munising) on our way to the Porcupine Mountains campground. Outside of that bring what you would like to eat. Coolers can stay in the cars on Saturday & Sunday evening. Wednesday we can refill them if needed when we drive through Munising for Wednesday, Thurs. & Friday. If you have a stove and fuel go ahead and bring it along. If you would like to share some ones please bring your own fuel.
This area of the UP offers moderate to more difficult hiking on well marked trails. Camping & backpacking skills required with the ability to hike up to 7 miles in 5 hours on moderate terrain with a pack. If you have never backpacked or hiked this amount before this is NOT the trip to learn on.
Sat. July 19 - Bay Furnace campground. Set up camp site 33 - car camping (2 nights). Water and toilets. http://www.recreation.gov/camping/bay-furnace-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=72065
Follow link for location info. (this link should show up with a close up of Bay Furnace Bay. The campground is the 2 loops on he left at the top. There is no physical address for Bay Furnace campground. https://firstname.lastname@example.org,-86.705534,16z
Sun. July 20 - Kayaking for all levels - $129 for 6.5 hours or day hiking. Group discount available. http://www.paddlingmichigan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Pictured-Rocks-Tour-Brochure10.pdf (if weather is bad this will change to hiking in Picture Rock and maybe moved).
Mon. July 21 –
• Leave campground, head to Munising visitor center & get permits.
• Drive to Little Beaver Lake trailhead, gather backpacking gear.
• Hike to Trappers Lake (4 miles/2-3 hours), set up camp, hike trails around camp site.
Tue. July 22 –
• Break camp by 8:30am, Hike to Coves (5 miles/3 hours), set up camp.
• Afternoon/Evening hike to Chapel Beach (4.3 miles/6 hours RT)
Wed. July 23 –
• Break camp by 9am, Hike to Little Beaver Lake trailhead (car) 2 miles.
• Stop at Miners falls, Lunch in Munising then head to Porkies (4 hours)
• Check in at Porcupine Mt. Campground- Union Bay site 59, car camping with restrooms & hot showers (Site already reserved).
Thur. July 24 –
• Drive to Lost Lake trailhead hike to Government Peak trail(4 miles/2 hours),
• Hike Government Peak trail (2 miles/1 hours)
• Return on same route (6 miles/3 hours)
• Possibly hike Union Spring (4 miles)
Fri. July 25
• Drive to Little Carp River rd. Overlook falls
• Hike Little Carp trail to River trail to Mirror Lake (11 miles/6 hours RT)
• Friday night at Presque Rustic Campground site 25 (Site already reserved)
Sat. July 26 – Drive home
The $25 will cover:
1) Backcountry reservations for Pic Rocks
2) Group Campground for 7/19 & 7/20
You will also need to pay:
1) $5/day for individual backcountry reservation (at Munising Visitor Center)
2) Union Bay & Presque Campground - $15 per person to Robyn (total)
3) Kayaking - $129 per person (6.5 hours) if you would like to kayak.
If anyone has questions you can email me at [masked]
CARPOOLING: Those attending can set up carpooling via this page, I leave from the Ann Arbor area and travel up US-23 to I-75.