Holly Recreation Area is a phenomenal park with hills and water. The water isn't that rare since it is Michigan after all, but it is nice to have some small hills to go up and down. This also gives those of us who can't spare the entire weekend to go to Manistee a chance to socialize, walk in circles, and relax!
This hike will be around 7 miles done at a moderate pace...we will be out about 3-3.5 hours. There is an option to go 10 miles- but let's see how hungry and thirsty we are first.
We will take some breaks to eat, drink, and be merry. Bring water, a snack, comfy shoes, and appropriate clothing. Because I want to encourage water drinking, I will mention there are bathrooms (well, port-a-johns) at the trail head and the 4th and 7th mile of the hike. Dogs are allowed
I shall carrying a day pack for this hike. If you have empathy for me, go ahead and bring yours.
Holly Recreational Area :
Map of the park
Map of meeting place- you can use this to get directions
Be careful, it is really easy to get lost. Instructions from I-75N...
1) Take I-75N to exit 101- Grange Hall Road and turn right (east)
2) Take Grange Hall road to McGinnis Road, which is right where Grange Hall turns left.
3) On McGinnis road there will be a sign for Holly Rec- turn right there. If you hit a dirt road, you have gone too far.
4) You enter the park, go past the ranger station, and keep straight. About 0.6 miles up there is a left turn into the parking lot (it is the first left you can make). The turn has a sign which says "Wilderness Trails and Picnic Shelter".
5) There are 2 parking lots here- fork to the right.
We are meeting at the parking lot with is at #18 on the trail map.
Since this is a state park you will need a recreation passport ($11 when you renew your license). If you do not have one, you can purchase it at the ranger station if there is a ranger there. If not, they might put a ticket on your car for $11 and then they send you a passport in the mail.
How about an Irish Themed Pub? Blackthorn Pub, 105 South Saginaw, Holly, MI, www.blackthornpubholly.net Blackthorn has great food and an extensive beer and cocktail menu. There is an RSVP limit for this meet up since it could be challenging to find tables! If there is more interest and I need to increase the number, I will try to find another place to eat afterwards.
Email me or call[masked]
See you there!