• The Experienced Rider Club: We Ride...
Minnesota Motorcycle Touring Club is currently not accepting new members.
Welcome to the Minnesota Motorcycle Touring Club (MMTC). The MMTC is for motorcycle riders who enjoy riding with friends 250 to 350 or more miles per day, plus whatever miles are required to get to the meet up location. Rides are on the 2nd and 4th weekends of the month from April to November, with some additional rides added in the other weeks. Most rides are in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Multiple day rides could go anywhere.
MMTC seeks fun challenging paved roads that are twisty and winding with a variety of curves and terrain. There will be roads that are not well marked, with blind or decreasing radius corners, occasional unpaved or sandy patches and other interesting and complex features.
Pace: Ride paces are defined by the approximate speed in the curves above the posted speeds as follows:
~Moderate pace: Plus 10 to 20 MPH.
~Technical pace: Plus 20+ MPH.
The straights are generally near the speed limit.
Established technical riding skills are required to safely participate in MMTC rides. Everyone rides their own ride, but to be a fit for the club, your style and pace should reasonably match the club pace on each ride. We will not leave anyone behind on a ride, however, if you are unable to keep pace with the club, it will be obvious and you will likely be asked to further develop your skills before continuing to ride with this club.
Membership: MMTC is open to experienced adult riders who possess solid technical riding skills. Membership dues are $20.00 for a family/member annually. Dues should not be paid until the new member paricipates in one club ride to ensure there is a good match between the members riding style and the club, dues are non-refundable. There are two types of members:
1. Paid members enjoy all the privileges of membership.
2. Unpaid members may enjoy the web site and participate in one trial ride with the club to determine if the club is a good fit with their riding skills before becoming a paid member. Dues must be paid after participating on one club ride to continue having access to the website.
Please Join Us! (Minnesota Motorcycle Touring Club is currently not accepting new members)
If you are an experienced rider with solid technical riding skills and this type of riding appeals to you, please join us for a ride. Safety is paramount, drugs and alcohol are not allowed on MMTC rides. Helmets are required and the wearing of other safety gear is strongly encouraged.
What happens if the weather is bad?
If the ride is canceled the web site will be updated early in the morning the day of the ride. Remember that there is always a 30% chance of rain in Minnesota. Think of it as 70% chance of no rain! Bring rain gear just in case.
How much experience is necessary to ride with the MMTC?
MMTC is a experienced rider club that is not for beginners. Riders should have enough experience to have developed solid riding skill necessary to safely ride the challenging roads, at pace, typically encountered on a ride. It takes a few years for most to develop solid riding skills, but some people with natural ability may achieve the skills in a shorter time. An honest self assessment of current riding skills should be your guide.
I have several years of riding experience when I was younger and I just started riding again. Is this enough experience?
Experience from our younger days certainly qualifies as experience. The important question relates to where you are in the development or redevelopment of solid riding skills. An honest self assessment of current riding skills is important for your and others safety.
What are the solid riding skills necessary to safely participate in MMTC rides?
Maturity and experience
· Rides their own ride safely and comfortably within the limits of their ability.
· Has the self discipline to ride with faster riders without the need to keep up.
· Understands the concept of group riding.
· Does not have a need to be ostentatious or show off.
· Keep the proper distance from the bike ahead.
· Can ride in staggered formation and holds the left or right track well.
· In single file rides within the lane.
· Anticipates the need for braking; brakes at the proper time.
· Proper use of brakes approaching curves and corners.
· Selects a good turn in point appropriate to the speed and conditions.
· Initiates the turn with the proper use of counter steering or rider lean/weight shift.
· Establishes and holds a good cornering line.
· Rides smoothly through the curves.
· Does not routinely brake in the turn.
· Does not cross the center line or fog line.
· Can corner comfortably and safely at or above the recommended corner speeds.
Can I join you on a ride without being a member?
Yes. Please join us for a ride. Unpaid riders may trial ride once with the club before becoming a paid member.
I'd like to show up as a guest to one of your rides, how do I see your calendar?
The easiest way is to join is to click on "sign up" at the top right corner of the home page, or follow this link:http://www.meetup.com....
Can I ride with the MMTC if I ride with other clubs?
Absolutely. We view the various motorcycle riding groups and clubs as complimentary, not competitive. We are fortunate in this area that there are several good groups that provide a variety of opportunities for the motorcycling community.
What are the club rules?
We have two hard rules which are no alcohol or illegal drugs during a ride and helmets are required. We also strongly encourage the use of all other safety gear for safe riding. Otherwise we ask all members to ride safe, be respectful and have fun.
Why is this club not suitable for beginning riders?
It takes time to develop solid technical riding skills. The rides may be uncomfortable or unsafe for beginning riders.
I am a beginning rider. Are there other riding groups available?
Yes there are many other good motorcycle riding groups in the area. A Google search will show many of them and there are several other groups here on meetup.com. If you can’t locate one send an email to one of our organizers and we will help you locate one. And remember, we were all beginning riders at some point, many of us more than once as we started riding again after years of absence. As you gain more experienced you will continue to develop your skills.
Why are there dues?
Dues pay for the web site, miscellaneous costs and helps pay for the annual banquet.
I'm not quite sure what a technical pace is, it sounds like a "fast through the turns" kind of thing? Looking at some photos in your site gives me the impression that some rides are catered for the sport-touring cyclist whom really craves a good challenge. Lets say I'm way at the back of the group and I'm nearing the edge of what I feel my skill level is for my bike at this time, and I fall back a ways. I don't want to slow anybody down and take away any of the thrill that others (and probably myself someday) are craving. Do you think that I might want to sit this one out? Or is this typical of most rides and there are rest areas for the baggers to catch up?
When people look at the pictures they see an organized group that likes to hang out in the curves. That is our group. Understand, with that said, we never leave anyone behind. We are not a group of sport bike riders! We have all different type of bikes in the group-- Goldwings, V-Star's, Harley's, FJR's, BMW's, etc. We stress safety and riding at your own individual comfort level, whatever that may be.
At every turn, we wait for the group to come together. A tailgunner will be at the back of the pack and communicates with the ride leader to let them know that the group is together and if there is a need to stop. Some of our ride leaders and many tailgunners have CB's or FRS radios to do this.
If you are interested in the club join us on a moderate paced ride to determine if the club meets your style of riding for skilled riders. On that note, if you are not able to do the posted speeds on the road or the recommended speed in the corners, you may slow the group down too much and not be a good fit. All I can offer you is words and encouragement. Come give us a try and if you feel it is not a good fit, you can leave at anytime.
How long has the MMTC been around?
In 1989 Rider Magazine offered to sponsor clubs and several people got together and started Minnesota Rider Motorcycle Touring Club. The club eventually transitioned into what is now the MMTC. Some of the charter members are still riding with the club.
"When life throws you a curve, lean into it!
5,002 Small Business Owners
3,698 Outdoor/Snow Lovers
1,133 Affluent Real Estate Investors