MSDevWNY Message Board › Windows 8 Development

Windows 8 Development

Richard N.
sinnrG
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 9
Since the Windows 8 launch we've had a lot of interest in Windows 8 Development.

This thread is to centralize any questions - from purchase deals to tips with working in Windows 8.

Ask a question or let us know a hidden gem that made your day!
Peter M.
user 36184172
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 1
You may already know these but I had to dig around to discover them. I'm running a laptop with a trackball so if you're like me and I can save you some time...cheers

Tip #1: the lock screen -Just tap the space bar, spin the mouse wheel to reveal a regular login screen with the user name you created during installation. Enter your password to begin.

Tip #2: the shortcut keys (a desktop developers goldmine)
•Win : switch between the Start screen and the last-running Windows 8 app
•Win + C : displays the Charms: the Settings, Devices, Share and Search options
•Win + D : launches the desktop
•Win + E : launches Explorer
•Win + F : opens the File Search pane
•Win + H : opens the Share pane
•Win + I : opens Settings
•Win + K : opens the Devices pane
•Win + L : locks your PC
•Win + M : minimises the current Explorer or Internet Explorer window (works in the full-screen IE, too)
•Win + O : toggles device orientation lock on and off
•Win + P : switch your display to a second display or projector
•Win + Q : open the App Search pane
•Win + R : opens the Run box
•Win + U : open the Ease of Access Centre
•Win + V : cycle through toasts (notifications)
•Win + W : search your system settings (type POWER for links to all power-related options, say)
•Win + X : displays a text menu of useful Windows tools and applets
•Win + Z : displays the right-click context menu when in a full-screen app
•Win + + : launch Magnifier and zoom in
•Win + - : zoom out
•Win + , : Aero peek at the desktop
•Win + Enter : launch Narrator
•Win + PgUp : move the current screen to the left-hand monitor
•Win + PgDn : move the current screen to the right-hand monitor
•Win + PrtSc : capture the current screen and save it to your Pictures folder
•Win + Tab : switch between running apps
Peter M.
user 36184172
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 2
Once I install window 8, I plan on getting visual Studio. Its a little pricey so for now I plan to stick to the express additions. For tablet apps do I need to download Express for Windows 8 or Express for Windows Phone?
Peter M.
user 36184172
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 3
One more thing...at the meeting I was asking about a book or tutorial I could get to help me get up to speed with windows 8. Think I found one, "Windows 8 Step by Step." If you use the O'Reilly member perk you can save 40 to 50 percent depending on whether you by paperback or ebook.... Not bad people... check out the perks biggrin
Richard N.
sinnrG
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 10
Once I install window 8, I plan on getting visual Studio. Its a little pricey so for now I plan to stick to the express additions. For tablet apps do I need to download Express for Windows 8 or Express for Windows Phone?

For Windows Store Apps you'll need Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8, which will help in creating apps for Windows 8 RT (tablets, etc.).

Peter M.
user 36184172
Buffalo, NY
Post #: 4
I did run into an issue during the download of Windows 8. I was was unable to complete ths download. After numberous calls to microsoft, they determined it was some corruption in my Windows 7 OS. The MS tech downloaded an online tool "Tweaking.com". This ran an analysis and fix of my PC. it took about an hour but did the trick. Tweaking.com is a nice app to have in your tool box. Its online and free. Go Bills.