Through some great connections, the MSP Multicultural Club is excited to host a special evening concert with the Imuka Singers from Bukoba, Tanzania, East Africa!
This concert is open to the public; RSVPs are appreciated, but not required. The entertainment will begin at 7:30 PM and there will be a casual reception for everyone afterward. The organizers will provide beverages, but to help defray costs, we are asking that guests please bring a treat to share. Suggested donation is $10 per person and all proceeds go the the Imuka Singers and to Lake Harriet Spiritual Community (LHSC) for use of their beautiful space. Imuka merchandise will also be available for sale to help support their important mission.
Who is Imuka?
The 30-person-choir is made up of highly talented musicians and dancers representing a dozen community groups from the northwestern shores of Lake Victoria. Imuka brings together not only rare singing techniques, electrifying choreography, hand drumming and multiple percussions, but also traditional dancing techniques that are adopted from the oldest East African folk songs and dances.
Why They Sing
Imuka’s purpose extends far beyond music, which, in Africa, has proven to be one of the most powerful tools in transforming people’s lives socially, spiritually and economically. It was out of concern for the less fortunate members of their communities that Imuka Singers was born.
Imuka uses the energy and passion of the music to harness the values and dreams of East African people and encourages them to work together for self-sustaining economic development of their communities. Portions of all Imuka earnings go towards community health, education, and micro-enterprise initiatives to help partner communities in Bukoba. We are creating and using music to change lives!
What People are Saying about Imuka
- “Their heavenly voices will mesmerize and leave you wanting more…” - A visitor from Sweden
- “Frankly, one of the biggest reasons I signed up to come to Bukoba is because of Imuka Singers…” - Canadian Volunteer to Bukoba
- “Imuka’s talent and social mission make it easy to be a fan and investor!” - an Imuka investor
- “Mr. Israel Kagaruki is simply a genius. He is, in my opinion, the best combination of J.S. Bach and Ray Charles living in Tanzania today….” - USA Choral Conductor on Imuka Training Director, Israel (born blind and has composed over 700 songs)
- In June 2010, Hal Leonard Corporation, the world's largest music print publisher, picked one of Imuka’s Israel Kagaruki pieces as “Editors’ Choice”
- “Imuka Singers are cultural ambassadors not only for the Bukoba people but indeed for all Tanzanians and East African people in general.” - Dr. Amani Anatory, Mayor of Bukoba, Tanzania
Don’t miss this great opportunity to see the Imuka Singers during their US debut! Please visit their website at ImukaSingers.com to hear some Imuka melodies and for more information. We look forward sharing the experience that is Imuka at this special event!