MTG Boston Message Board › Standard Tournament - April 10th

Standard Tournament - April 10th

A former member
Post #: 31
As of now, there is not enough interest for a modern tournament. We will revert back to Standard for the time being. Hopefully when Modern Masters gets released, there will be enough interests and we can do some modern tournaments.

For the next tournament, are people interested in the Modern format? I've talked to Zach and he seems very keen on the idea. Are there others in support of a Modern tournament on April 10th? If there's not enough interests for a Modern tournament, we can revert back to Standard. Please reply with your choice.

Date: April 10th, 2013
Time: Starts at 6:30 pm (be here by 6:20 pm)
Entry Fee: $5 (guaranteed 1 Gatecrash Booster Pack)
1st Place: Entry Booster + 3 Additional Boosters
2nd Place: Entry Booster + 2 Additional Boosters
3rd Place: Entry Booster + 1 Additional Booster
4th - Last Place: Entry Booster
Format: Swiss-system tournament (4 rounds, 45 minutes per a round, 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie)
Veronica
Nepenthe13
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 13
Another awesome idea Kevin!
A former member
Post #: 35
Is there any interest for this tournament? If not, I'd like to co-organize a Gatecrash draft with Justin next week.
David M.
user 35684652
Boston, MA
Post #: 6
I'm not familiar with the concept of how modern works. I thought standard was modern?
A former member
Post #: 36
I'm not familiar with the concept of how modern works. I thought standard was modern?

Standard has the 2 latest blocks + core set. So below are the sets legal in Standard:

Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored
Magic 2013
Return to Ravnica
Gatecrash
Dragon's Maze (effective May 3, 2013)

Modern encompasses a much larger card pool. Modern includes all of Standard + all cards dating back to 8th edition. Below are the sets legal in Modern:

Eighth Edition
Mirrodin
Darksteel
Fifth Dawn
Champions of Kamigawa
Betrayers of Kamigawa
Saviors of Kamigawa
Ninth Edition
Ravnica: City of Guilds
Guildpact
Dissension
Coldsnap
Time Spiral
Planar Chaos
Future Sight
Tenth Edition
Lorwyn
Morningtide
Shadowmoor
Eventide
Shards of Alara
Conflux
Alara Reborn
Magic 2010
Zendikar
Worldwake
Rise of the Eldrazi
Magic 2011
Scars of Mirrodin
Mirrodin Besieged
New Phyrexia
Magic 2012
Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored
Magic 2013
Return to Ravnica
Gatecrash
Dragon's Maze (effective May 3, 2013)

I personally really enjoy modern as there are more deck types. It can be expensive to get started as a mana base can be very expensive mainly due to Zendikar fetch lands. However, since the format is eternal, you don't have to keep buying cards. So in the long run, it's actually cheaper. Unfortunately, the format doesn't seem very popular at the moment. I'm really hoping Modern Masters will change that in the next 2 months.