Josh P.
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 10
Here are some resources I wanted to share with the group.

It can be a little intimidating to jump into commander/EDH, so here are some things to help all the newer players. Also, there is a lot of info if any of the older players want to take a look as well.

Here are Bennie Smith's EDH primers. They are pretty good and he also has a weekly EDH article on

Here is the commandercast blog. The podcasts are also available on, but the website has more info and show notes.

Here is a YouTube guy. He is on commandercast some, but he has some good deck primers on his site. It is also nice to be able to see the cards.­

Here is another YouTube channel. This is the main guy from commandercast and he his EDH Shorts are pretty good base info. He also has a couple of interviews with other deck builders so you get to see other decks too.­

Another YouTube channel that I just found. Have not had a chance to look at it, so I hope it is good.­

This is the MTG Salvation EDH forums.

Here is their deck database.

And here is the EDH resources thread.

Hope that helps. A lot of times if you look up your general in the deck database you can see what other people do with it and you can find some cool tech.

And feel free to message me if you have any questions or anything. Also, don't forget that your deck doesn't have to be super powerful to be fun. A lot of people enjoy theme decks or just silly, outlandish decks.

Josh P.
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 11
That's weird. I've never had problems with it and I am on there all the time. Usually just links to the forum post where the deck is posted.

Shawnodese Mathias...
user 38376402
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 2
thanks i really want to get into edh but it seems really complicated...
Group Organizer
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 58
Best way to do it is to try the pre-constructed Commander decks that they released. I have some at home you can try. But really EDH/Commander breaks down into only a few things-

- Pick a fun legendary creatures you like, he is your general
- Pick all of your favorite cards, up to 99, that share the colors of your general, almost all (non-un) cards are legal
- Include a few staples always like Sol Ring and Mana Vault, if you have them
- You have a deck now... it plays like normal Magic except that your deck is 99 cards
- Your general sits in the 'general zone' and when you want to play him you can, if he dies he goes back to the general zone but you can cast him again for two more colorless mana.. and he keeps going up two mana every time he dies. This is really the only piece that differs from normal Magic gameplay
Nate S.
user 86678432
Manassas, VA
Post #: 2
I find that a good start to a EDH/Commander deck is by going with some kind of tribal theme. Find a good Legendary Vampire, or Elf, or Wizard, Human, etc... Then grab all of your commander-colored humans, and pick out the ones that have the best synergies with your decks. Then grab a bunch of enchantments that would like "give all humans lifelink" or whatever, grab some good commander artifacts, lands, etc. and then just tune it.

I have made a couple EDH decks where I had no idea what I was going for when I started (I just picked a bunch of cool cards with the right colors in it), and then once you play it a few times, you realize that some cards are terrible, and some card would fit right in.

I find it's a great way of using your really obscure rares or huge creatures/spells (Omnisciense ?) that would almost never see play in a regular game, but can really be a bomb (read - everyone rolls their eyes and groans) in long multi-player games

The rules really are not that much different than a regular game, its just the commander, and the commander zone is a little weird at first...