Madison Area Volleyball Network Message Board › A Few Important Notes About Our VB Group

A Few Important Notes About Our VB Group

Bob M.
user 46589842
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Apparently our Thurs-night group has died, and this has generated a few comments and questions on tonight's Meetup.  But I think the issues we've run into this year affect our group as a whole, so I'm sharing this reply with our group as a whole.  Our new friend Corina says:
Hello, new in town, was hoping to play, but as of 5:55 only two of us had arrived at the designated court. We're both new and don't have a ball. :( Is this a bogus site? Created by people with good intentions but no follow- through? If so, please have the courtesy to remove it so others are not disappointed in the future like I am now!
Sorry folks.  No, this is not a bogus site, but our Thurs-night group has become a victim of a few unfortunate circumstances.  First, there is another Thurs-night group that plays in another part of town that asked us to list their group on our site, so we did that, and lost about half of our own group's players to that other group.  I'd actually de-listed our own Thurs-night group for a few weeks for that reason, but then the other group said they were getting over-crowded, and asked us to stop listing them here.  So we did that, and re-listed our own Thurs group, but the bodies we'd lost apparently stayed with the other group.  And meanwhile the summer had moved into Aug, and historically our numbers drop a little in Aug as more people take vacations and get busy with other things.
And finally, I came down with a couple of nasty illnesses this past month that have kept me off the courts, and limited my ability to be the organizer/promoter/cheerleader that I usually am.  Bottom line, I think it's unlikely our Thurs group will recover this season, so I'll just kill the remaining Thurs Meetups on our calendar so we don't disappoint and alienate other members.  But our Sunday afternoon groups should be good for another three or four weeks, and this weekend I'll be updating our list of indoor vb venues that start up after Labor Day.  (We don't organize any indoor groups, but we can point you to some of the more popular indoor groups in the Madison area.)
Sorry for how this has all played out this year.  Last summer we had two courts running full-tilt most every Thurs night all summer long. But this year we ran into a Perfect Storm that pretty much killed our Thursdays.
If you have any questions or other comments, please feel free to post them on our Message Board, or email me privately at mthorebian [at] gmail [dot] com.