addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Madison Area Volleyball Network Message Board › More about dues..........

More about dues..........

Bob M.
user 46589842
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Okay folks, I just set up our Meetup dues process -- $5 per year, payable online at our website (button on the left), and everybody has a 30-day free trial before the dues are due.  If you're new here, that will give you time to visit a few of our free outdoor v-ball groups to see whether we are your cuppa tea.
After 30 days, the mean Meetup Robot will automatically remove anyone who hasn't paid.  If you want to remain a member but just inadvertently blow the deadline, no worries.  Just re-join and pay.
I have to say that setting up Meetup dues is not a clear, straightforward process, so if you run into anything that doesn't seem right or fair, please do let me know: mthorebian@gmail.com.
Thanks, folks.
A former member
Post #: 1
A few thoughts here. Having a closed pay-for group seems like it would severely limit new member signups, and perhaps push certain users away to other systems of organizations, such as Facebook Events.

$5 is of course completely reasonable, I will be paying it, but I think overall this will hinder new members from signing up, as is any system with a paywall.

Other thoughts on raising $ instead of forcing dues to meetup.com:

* Leave a 'tip jar' out at events, attempt to gather the $5-$15 or so per event that works out.
* Find a few people Annually to 'sponsor' the dues and or ball
* Find a business to sponsor

Unrelated to above, but a suggestion of a type of event to consider planning through meetup.com would be some type of team based tournaments, possibly mad hatter style. A lot of these are coordinated on Facebook already, so why not use meetup for the same purpose?

Just my $.02..

Bob M.
user 46589842
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 23
Thanks for the feedback, Chris. Reasonable points, and I expect you're right that we will push some people away to other venues. But frankly I just don't want to have to chase down sponsorship dollars, either from members or from a business, in addition to the time I already give to the group. If some other member wants to volunteer to do that legwork, that would be terrific.
I like the tip jar idea, in theory, but I know a couple other Meetup group organizers who say when they've asked for donations, they get very little. For example, in the group that's hosting the bonfire this weekend, with a membership count at 291, the previous organizer asked for $5 donations and over the course of 2013 received ... [drum roll] ... $40 (and $10 of that was from me and the organizer herself).
A former member
Post #: 2
From my experience over the past several years with this group, there is a core group of about 20 - 30 people that some percentage of shows up weekly. I think if at least half pay the dues we'll be doing good. I don't think we'll have a problem with the $5 scaring people off, in fact, last summer there were quite a few times too many people showed up. But I think we should surreptitiously stick a GPS tracker on Bob's car to make sure he doesn't start fleeing toward Mexico with all that cash.
A former member
Post #: 328
Can we pay the $5 in person when we see Bob at vball to avoid the pay pal fee?