Energize Activities Message Board › An under-utilized social opportunity: our message board!

An under-utilized social opportunity: our message board!

Grant
user 7721262
Madison, WI

Folks,

We're in a period when it's a bit challenging to keep meetups on the calendar, both because of the cold weather and because we're still recovering from the holidays.

But there's a way to continue to enjoy some of the benefits of our large and still-growing social group (over 660 members!) even without setting foot outside of your home: the Energize Activities message board!

I've found that message boards can be very effective ways to let other folks know who you are and what you're up to, as well as to share information about events and activities that aren't on our calendar. A couple of my closest friends today are people that I first "met" several years ago on another message board that had a very boring academic purpose!

So, I'd like to invite you all to (a) bookmark the message board page, and (b) start some conversations! Gripe about the cold. Suggest a live music event. Ask for a recipe for mulled wine. Comment on your favorite (or least favorite) book or movie. Ask how to set the clock on your DVD player. Post a joke you heard. Organize a curling league. No topic is too off-topic, as long as it's reasonably appropriate for polite company.

I predict that, once a few active conversations get started (and especially if they are moderately entertaining smile), the message board will be at least as effective for "breaking the ice" to new friendships as are the actual meetups. I also predict that some of us will start to monitor the board almost as religiously as we do Facebook, the main difference being that, here, we all start out with the same 660+ friends. :)

(As always, take responsibility for guarding your own privacy -- don't post full names, phone numbers, addresses, etc., on the public message board unless you really don't care about everyone (even non-members) having access to that information!)

Best wishes for the new year!

Grant
A former member
Post #: 32
Grant, are you staying as the organizer of this group? Do we have a sponsor to pay the meetup fee? Is this group still active? 1,002 members but not many events lately and low attendance.