Madison Traditional Gaming Message Board Madison Traditional Gaming Discussion Forum › Loose Campaigns On Game Day?

Loose Campaigns On Game Day?

Gene
user 10711258
Lake Mills, WI
Post #: 4
Is anyone interested in a loose campaign on game day?

By loose I mean you bring your own generated character to the game or generate them at the game. That character progresses but the world/setting and even judge changes session to session. The game/adventure for the day is designed around the level of the characters most are playing allowing for characters to progress. Of course there will have to always be pre-generated characters for people who just want to play a single session.

The questions:

1. Are you interested in this kind of play on game day?
2. If so, would you like to see it for all games or just for certain more popular games we end up playing every week?

Victor R.
badger2305
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 5
I really like this idea, because it's very old school in nature. Back in the day (so to speak) people would run different campaigns, and other people would have their favorite characters they would take through adventures in those campaigns. Sounds like a good idea to me. But I also think we need to have some one-shots for people to try out other games (but that's also just me).
A former member
Post #: 1
I like the idea but for a change of pace from the traditional character level I would like to add the idea of running a campaign using the HarnMaster character creation rules. The campaign doesn't have to be set in Harn since other locations are possible. For those that don't have the HarnMaster character rules you access the necessary information for character creation at www.jswatson.info/byoc
A former member
Post #: 3
I think that this will only work if we agree to play only one game system. I do not like the idea of catering only to one genre or game system.

I would prefer to have a situation where we have a one-shot game or two in the morning, and then one or two campaign games in the afternoon that will run from 4-8 game sessions and then give someone else a chance to run. This way we have the most exposure to both different one-shot games and to different campaign styles. This is dependent on how many people we get to play.

This way you are also more likely to get people who are not interested in a particular game to put up with coming if they get a chance to do their thing at some point.

I think I can get at least one and possibly as many as three people to come if we revolve games. But I know a couple of the people will not be interested without some campaign, nor do they want to be stuck into one person's campaign for too long unless it is something they are very interested in (one person loves sci-fi, but is not interested in fantasy as an example, but might be interested if things change around occasionally).

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Victor R.
badger2305
Group Organizer
Madison, WI
Post #: 6
Dear George and James - a few comments:

• I think Gene's idea is a great "blast from the past" idea - James, you yourself said you had a bard you wanted to play at the first Sequoya Library meetup - this would allow that. I think what Gene is getting at is something that dates back to the earliest days of gaming, when the only game system was (Original) D&D. Jeff Rients rediscovered this idea awhile ago: different referees had different campaigns, and your brought your character and tried things out. Sounds like something I'd like to try!
  • One aspect of Madison Traditional Gaming as a meetup is that it is about trying new things with old(er) systems. So while I appreciate the idea of using Harnmaster, I suspect it would be easier to try with D&D - especially earlier (& simpler) editions. It's also the game that, like it or not, is the most familiar to people. If enough people wanted to play in a regular Harnmaster campaign, that's cool, too. But THAT means getting more people in the door.
  • George - the way you've described the interests of your friends is pretty iffy - "put up with coming" and "nor do they want to be stuck in one person's campaign" - if they are interested in Old School gaming, great! But if they are "picky diners" I'm not sure we can cater to that so easily. I'd rather people come with open minds and willing to try stuff out.

Hope this makes sense!

Victor
(Your Humble Organizer)

A former member
Post #: 2
I agree with our Humble Organizer and early D&D (just as side note: early HarnMaster dates from 1986 so I will leave my thoughts on it on the table so to speak) Back to early D&D, I've characters I haven't play in years so I kind of like the idea of a gaming session from time to time. BTY I also have a stack of 1st edition D&D modules abut 3 feet high I could dig out for use.
Gene
user 10711258
Lake Mills, WI
Post #: 12
Hey James, you should bring some of your D&D stuff. I like to peruse the old stuff.
A former member
Post #: 3
If we go to a Loose Campaign on Game Day I will bring an 1st Edition AD&D module to run from time to time (when I'm the GM that issmile)