addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Madison Preppers Message Board › need advice for food storage (food allergies)

need advice for food storage (food allergies)

Jack
user 101721512
Verona, WI
Post #: 1
So I'm finishing up my 3 day bag and its time to decide what kind of food to store both in my bag and in my basement....

I have been doing research and what I seem to keep finding is that for every person that swears to one thing, there is one person who curses it.

Any first hand knowledge would be great but here is the kicker.. I have a server allergy to ALL nuts, shellfish, and seafood. I read some where to be careful with MRE's because they all "may" contain nuts do to some meals including them as protein sources. Does any one know if this is true?

I'm set on water, guns, and ammo just need food!

also are there any preppers in or near madison with land that do any shooting? I haven't practiced in a while and have only gotten to shoot my new AR once:( I just don't want to pay for range time if I don't have to. A shooting group would be great!
Curt
user 41599832
Group Organizer
Sun Prairie, WI
Post #: 36
Go to http://emergency-prep...­ the first column The Ready Store go down to features. They say they are shellfish, soy, and peanut free.

Also www.enerhealthbotanicals.com says their foods are certified organic. Stay away from MRE's the plants process with peanuts. Start canning your own foods and supplement with store bought canned and dried (pasta, beans, rice, etc.) foods. You should have a variety of foods in your stores anyway. Remember with freeze dried and dehydrated foods you will need to store more water to prepare them.

Hope this helps,

Curt
kathleen
user 44664382
Janesville, WI
Post #: 11
sounds like you will be reading a LOT of labels. Many manfactured/processed foods will have cross contamination...can you make up your own food combos? More work admittedly, but a instant rice/dehydrated veg/freeze dried meat combo in a zip lock bag, would be easily rehydrated and if you add in a homemade gravy or sauce mix to make your own casserole type food, you might minimize exposure...MREs are nice but they do have their drawbacks, and using pasta, instant rice, or instant potatoes as a base you can make up all kinds of combinations (look at 'hamburger helper' and all those rice or noodle side dishes for inspiration). Can you do Ramen Noodles? They are a good semi-instant base as well - just add your choice of dehydrated veggies, plus freeze dry/dehydrated meats or even TVP for a protein. Instant or dehydrated soups make fine sauce bases, if you have one you particularly like.
Dehydrated is my preferred option, because Wisconsin is not a state where water is likely to be hard to find; you will need to make it safe of course, but after that, boiling it to kill paqthogens will get you halfway to dinner. If you are worried about the odor of cooking getting out, you can cook these DIY meal combos in a thermos (or in a wrap cooker) while on the move. I've tried many a combo, and have used both thermoses & wraps to cook without odor and while mobile, and keep the ingredients for these DIY casserole combos on hand for bug-out bags, along with a couple unbreakable thermoses.