The Los Angeles Hungarian Language Meetup Group Message Board › Goulash in a Crock Pot? YES!

Goulash in a Crock Pot? YES!

Nanda D.
NandaDyssou
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 224
Hey All,

I found this recipe online... apparently you can make goulash in a crock pot. Let me know if you've tried it!

Ingredients:

2 Pounds Of Rump Roast Cut Into 1 Inch Cubes

3 Large Sweet Purple Onions Peeled And Sliced Very Thin

2 Cups Of Fine Diced Portabello Mushrooms

1 Can Beef Broth

1 Tablespoon Paprika

1 Teaspoon Black Pepper

1 Large Can Crushed Tomatoes

1 16 Oz. Package Broad Noodles

Caraway Seeds For Garnish

In a large frying pan add a little vegetable oil and then over medium heat brown your beef cubes until they are browned on all sides. Then add your beef cubes to the crock pot.

Now saute your onions and mushrooms in the same skillet until the onions are done. Add these to your crock pot and the rest of your ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Cook your noodles and serve your Crock Pot Hungarian Goulash over the noodles. We like to chop green onions fine including the tops and garnish the top with these.
Csilla M.
user 54154422
Santa Monica, CA
Post #: 1
Sorry, I am a newby in this group and should have no voice at this point. But I just could NOT let it go without responding. First off, there has never been any gulyas (or goulash) that can be called Hungarian and has noodles. I think the same thing ca be said of mushrooms. And you don't "garnish" with caraway seeds... I mean have you seen caraway seeds? They are not the most visually pleasing spices.

I am sure you can make a decent gulyas in a crock pot with the right ingredients. However, reading the recipe, I think it is sort of waste of time b/c you are already starting out with a skillet and such... You might as well finish it that way. Yes, you do have to be (or better be) present but other than that, not much is needed in terms of actual cooking work.

I admit, I have changed the regular Hungarian recipe for our family consumption to substitute for less fatty and filling ingredients. I do not think that it has changed the integrity of the dish though. It might be interesting to see what would happen if I just dumped all the regular ingredients into a crock pot and sample what comes out. However, the sauteeing of the onions, the cooking of the paprika, and the browning of the meat seem to me pretty important. I still would try but no mushrooms and noodles please! :-)

Also, I am realizing that I am not sure if this one is for gulyas leves or the porkolt/paprikas. I was mostly talking about porkolt but I can also say that I never had with gulyas leves with noodles (potatoes and nokedli yes but not noodles), and I had gomba porkolt but that did not contain any meet. In which case cooking it for several hours is really just futile. Now you still might end of with a tasty dish; it's just not gulyas. :-)
Julia N.
JLNemeth
San Diego, CA
Post #: 106
Ahány ház, annyi szokás... We eat our porkolt over noodles sometimes, especially when we don't want to go to the effort of making nokedli. And I think the "Goulash" represented here is most definitely a porkolt, as opposed to a gulyas leves.

On a separate note, I have made gulyas leves in a crock pot before, literally just threw everything into the crockpot (meat, onions, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, caraway seeds - used gulyas crem and some homemade beefstock I'd made the week before to add flavor) and let it cook on low for 8 hours. Developed good flavor, tender beef...